• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Muay Thai and combinations.

My Taekwondo guys always complained that I don't throw enough kicking combos, taking power away from the first shot in order to do a sequences of kicks. I do not possess the light feet and flexibility to do that however.

My question is if Muay Thai instructors are more lenient on this matter?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
My Taekwondo guys always complained that I don't throw enough kicking combos, taking power away from the first shot in order to do a sequences of kicks. I do not possess the light feet and flexibility to do that however.

My question is if Muay Thai instructors are more lenient on this matter?

Isn't Muay Thai also called kick boxing? :-?

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

I just started taking Muay Thai and have a TKD/Karate back ground. I think you will be ok, just through more combos combing hands and feet. I've not seen long strings of kicking combos (yet).

• 2 months later...

So kicking combos tend to be rare in Muay Thai by comparison but I’ll explain why.

Throwing a kick potentially puts you in a bad position because you’re on one leg. As such you want to make sure your kick is “worth it.” In this sense it means power.

If you throw kicks without power (and by power I mean the intent of breaking someone in half) you’re opponent won’t respect them and will look to walk through them and drop powerful combos on you when you do.

If you mixed up your weaker kicks with powerful ones the require your opponent respect them