• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Style vs Substance

You have the MA style, now it is up to you to put in the substance, is there more room for you to do this?

How are you going to do something with more wisdom or substance in your martial art, it could be as simple as being more enthusiastic?

Changing things for the betterment of others is preferable but how?

On my personal journey, it has been adding or focusing on more quality and getting rid of things of no value or use.

Style vs substance, an opening question, how does it realistically relate to you?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For me, at this point in my career, its about knowing what I can and can't do, and adapting the techniques I learn so that I can do them. More important than the techniques, though, are the tactics in which to apply them, and that has become more and more the substance I'm trying to work into my style.

I think substance is something that every Martial Artist brings to the table. Take a room full of Karateka at a seminar, for example. Out of 100 practitioners, you are likely going to find close to that number different takes, approaches, and applications of the same technique. That, in my opinion, is where the substance comes from.

Styles aren't anything; whereas, substance is everything!!

We're not suppose to learn the MA so that we are a member of something, or if we're here studying how to model while walking down the ramp at some fashion show.

Substance must be effective because it is said that to much of a good thing can destroy everything on the floor. This is where the dojo pageantry gets in the way of effective training.

A buffet is appealing, however, it only satisfies for the moment, and not for a life time!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

By doing a technique correctly is a way in the right direction that adds substance to it but no guarantee.

Often in a none maist, that person can fight yet is missing alot of substance, as in wasted energy and not using economy of motion, also sloppy kicks and punches that are areas that should have something in them to cause damage.

Punching for the sake of punching and kicking for the sake of kicking, is an indication that their techniques and fighting skills lack substance and power.

As students showing up for class, there in body and not in mind, as if already spent more than necessary during the daytime, with not much substantial amount of energy to workout with.

Making every punch, kick and block count for something, instead of the alternative of going through the motions.

Perhaps this is what Bruce Lee was talking about, when using the term "Emotional content" adding substance to your art.