• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is your training obvious?

What are some of the signs that can be observed immediately at first meeting? Things besides obvious visible signs such as appearance(hands, for example)? Is it something about the way they express themselves or maybe body language or attitude?

One of the simplest tests I find is to ask someone to punch. IMHO regardless of what striking style they've done in the past, people who have trained before will move their feet, legs and hips when punching. You see them ground themselves and their hips move in coordination with the arm. Your average Joe on the street punches with just their arm, not their whole body.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are some of the signs that can be observed immediately at first meeting? Things besides obvious visible signs such as appearance(hands, for example)? Is it something about the way they express themselves or maybe body language or attitude?

One of the simplest tests I find is to ask someone to punch. IMHO regardless of what striking style they've done in the past, people who have trained before will move their feet, legs and hips when punching. You see them ground themselves and their hips move in coordination with the arm. Your average Joe on the street punches with just their arm, not their whole body.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

A "beginner" being able to step forward in a stance without the hip going out from under the center of gravity is a sure sign someone has trained before.

Most beginners have that newbie ~wobble~ at first go.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

Yes. 100% yes.

I can tell if someone has trained before and more importantly if they have trained for a long period of time just in the way they move. Some things just can not be picked up watching youtube or reading book/magazines.

If you have been trained and more importantly corrected and trained correctly your movements are like a lighthouse beacon. Glaringly obvious.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

Yes and no. It's not that they train or have trained (in any specific art) but that they are capable. It's the way a person holds themselves, their body posture, intention and eye contact. Those that are capable are more confident (not sure that is the right word but don't know any other way to describe it).

I pretty much know the minute I meet someone if they are a fighter/or able to handle themselves in the way they address me. Maybe I'm blowing smoke but after being in enough fights as a kid and more than enough bar brawls and fights when I was in the Corps I tend to pick up on little things about people. I guess it's an intuitive thing or whatever you wish to call it. I don't know how to accurately describe what I'm trying to say. But you get the point... I hope.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

It is likely that the reason why it is difficult to describe is because it is something that is not done in a deliberate and conscious way. Very few if anyone at all goes out and about actively and purposefully observing people’s behaviour.

Perhaps it is because an experienced person’s intuition allows them to read in others the qualities they themselves have developed. Thus, a confident and assured person will unconsciously display that in some way and also be able to know it immediately in another person when they see it.

It is likely that the reason why it is difficult to describe is because it is something that is not done in a deliberate and conscious way. Very few if anyone at all goes out and about actively and purposefully observing people’s behaviour.

Perhaps it is because an experienced person’s intuition allows them to read in others the qualities they themselves have developed. Thus, a confident and assured person will unconsciously display that in some way and also be able to know it immediately in another person when they see it.

Great way to put it. Thanks, I was having a senior moment there and couldn't find the right words to describe it. :D

Charles R. Swindoll

Like mindful people; I suppose!!

Not to far apart, if at all, can be more overly noticed. Outside of the physical clues that are picked up almost instantaneously, without even a pause of observing; like mindful people stand out to other like mindful people.

An animal, for example, a bear, can spot another bear immediately, and be drawn to that bear because they're both the same...bears!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Yes. 100% yes.

I can tell if someone has trained before and more importantly if they have trained for a long period of time just in the way they move. Some things just can not be picked up watching youtube or reading book/magazines.

If you have been trained and more importantly corrected and trained correctly your movements are like a lighthouse beacon. Glaringly obvious.

I've always wondered about this, and if people think this of me. I don't think I move any differently, really, but I probably wouldn't, either. I just don't know if people watch me and think that.