• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My hand is my money maker so risking breaking it is out of the question. I'd love to play with some of those guys and learn a few things.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I never said I knew everything- and I'm not entirely against traditional martial arts. (Huge fan of Judo, for example.) I do still say, though, that most traditional martial arts aren't as effective as the so called modern ones, especially in their current state. That isn't to say that there aren't good ones out there. And that certainly isn't to say I'd beat you in a fight (Treebranch), judging from your posts (which I like, by the way) you seem like a guy who can handle himself.

However- while I can't judge everything perfectly, not knowing everything and all, I do have a pretty good way to judge martial arts- by their results. You see what produces what, and what is more effective. This is why I like the UFC: while it obviously isn't exactly like a streetfight, it shows in large part what methods work and what methods don't (illegal moves and "sport" strategies aside.)

Muay Thai is a traditional art.its been around for thousands(around the 1500's) of years.Whats that make it? not as effective as MMA?

Ive seen thai boxers beat MMAists.

Ive seen MMAsts beat thai boxers.

And ive seen other traditional MAists beat other MMAists,vise versa.

I think others would dispute that Muay Thai in its present form is a TMA. Present Muay from what has been said by some here is less than 100 years old and is descended from more traditional and ancient Thai arts.

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride, and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." -Alabama Coaching Legend Paul "Bear" Bryant.

Muay Thai is a traditional art.its been around for thousands(around the 1500's) of years.Whats that make it? not as effective as MMA?

Ive seen thai boxers beat MMAists.

Ive seen MMAsts beat thai boxers.

And ive seen other traditional MAists beat other MMAists,vise versa.

I think there's a few things here:

1. muay thai has NOT been around for thousands of years - other muay have - muay lon lon, muay boran, muay chaiya, etc. muay thai did not come about until the 1920's. people generally refer to the old muay as "ancient muay thai", but technically, it is not.

2. sport arts are classified as such because of how they train. boxing, muay thai, judo, wrestling, etc. are all traditional from an age standpoint, however, they use more modern training - lack of forms, use of sparring, heavy bags, etc. as opposed to forms, makiwars/iron palm, stance training, etc.

3. there is a competitive aspect. "Traditional" styles are combat oriented and do not revolve around sport.

I think others would dispute that Muay Thai in its present form is a TMA. Present Muay from what has been said by some here is less than 100 years old and is descended from more traditional and ancient Thai arts.

dang... I shoulda read this first! :)

Muay Thai is a modern martial art in that it evolves with time, and has changed recently, if not continuously. Traditional doesn't necessarily mean ancient, modern doesn't necessarily mean new.

TMA combat orented? no way doing hours of forms and stance work is combative.

Not in hour days , while OLD traditional martial artists had the chance to test their powers in a real situation , NEW traditional martial artists probably won't , the forms and stances where daily preparation for real situations , and i think they worked

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike