• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New Adult Yougupja Poomse

The Kukkiwon has recently demonstrated a new series of 8 Poomse for adults.

"The need for new poomsae is getting increased as the training motivation of taekwondo is getting diversified, according to the changes of age and environment," Kukkiwon President Hyun-deuk Oh said. “If the adult yougupja poomsae is globally distributed to more taekwondo clubs through frontline masters, I think it will be a great help to activate the field of adult taekwondo.”

http://eng.tkdnews.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=16500

Anyone come across any videos yet?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This is the first I've heard of it. I'd be interested to see what these look like, and how they differentiate from the poomsae they do now.

I will keep an eye out for a video, for sure.

What are your thoughts on this, Danielle? I'm not sure what to think. On one hand, I'd like to think that what they have should be sufficient to meet the needs of training their students, but on the other hand, change can be good; it just needs to be with purpose. If they truly do help in training the types of movement patterns that they state in that description, then that's great. But what were the older forms lacking? Will these be required for testings along with the Tae Guek poomsae for adults? One would hope they wouldn't be saturating with too much material for a testing, but maybe it isn't.

This is not the first time the WTF has done this, though. They had the Pal Gwe poomsae first, then abandoned them for the Tae Guek, and now they have this new set. Its interesting, and worth a discussion, for sure.

What would you think if the ITF rolled out whole new set of Tul?

While I practice and thoroughly enjoy Tae Kwon Do, I am rather skeptical of the Kukkiwon's relationship with making money. My school's not part of the Kukkiwon largely because it'd cost too much for us to join. This seems like it might be something else schools around the world would have to pay for in order to maintain their credentials.

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

This is the first I've heard of it. I'd be interested to see what these look like, and how they differentiate from the poomsae they do now.

I will keep an eye out for a video, for sure.

What are your thoughts on this, Danielle? I'm not sure what to think. On one hand, I'd like to think that what they have should be sufficient to meet the needs of training their students, but on the other hand, change can be good; it just needs to be with purpose. If they truly do help in training the types of movement patterns that they state in that description, then that's great. But what were the older forms lacking? Will these be required for testings along with the Tae Guek poomsae for adults? One would hope they wouldn't be saturating with too much material for a testing, but maybe it isn't.

This is not the first time the WTF has done this, though. They had the Pal Gwe poomsae first, then abandoned them for the Tae Guek, and now they have this new set. Its interesting, and worth a discussion, for sure.

What would you think if the ITF rolled out whole new set of Tul?

I'm not sure the ITF ever would role out new tul unless it was along the lines of a modified tul for kids or for special needs. Whichever ITF you're in they tend to be sticklers for following the way of the General. He had a reason for 24 patterns so I think it would be extremely unlikely they would create more. Of course you have Ko-Dang and U-Nam/Woo-Nam that some might practice but these were created during the General's time and are not official tul per se.

Regarding Kukkiwon poomse, I guess it depends what the poomse look like and whether these are to replace or compliment existing forms. They have recently released some new competition poomse too so maybe they're trying to refresh the curriculum all-round.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Yeah, they don't sit still, that's for sure. The competition poomsae seem to be guided towards the already talented competitors, which to me ends up being exclusionary. Perhaps these new forms are being put in place for those who aren't going to be using the new competition forms, but I wonder to what end, really? I guess time will tell.

While I practice and thoroughly enjoy Tae Kwon Do, I am rather skeptical of the Kukkiwon's relationship with making money. My school's not part of the Kukkiwon largely because it'd cost too much for us to join. This seems like it might be something else schools around the world would have to pay for in order to maintain their credentials.

This, I wonder about, too. Our school uses ITF forms, but isn't affiliated with the ITF, nor the WTF, and about the only reason anyone in our school would become affiliated with the WTF would be to compete nationally in their tournaments. But, there aren't many around here, maybe one a year, and we don't really focus our classes to the sparring aspect of training, either. I'm not inclined to believe that this is being done solely for the money, but I wouldn't deny that they haven't considered it, either.

Yeah, they don't sit still, that's for sure. The competition poomsae seem to be guided towards the already talented competitors, which to me ends up being exclusionary. Perhaps these new forms are being put in place for those who aren't going to be using the new competition forms, but I wonder to what end, really? I guess time will tell.

This, I wonder about, too. Our school uses ITF forms, but isn't affiliated with the ITF, nor the WTF, and about the only reason anyone in our school would become affiliated with the WTF would be to compete nationally in their tournaments. But, there aren't many around here, maybe one a year, and we don't really focus our classes to the sparring aspect of training, either. I'm not inclined to believe that this is being done solely for the money, but I wouldn't deny that they haven't considered it, either.

Oh, I'm sure there are many reasons to introduce more forms, and I'm interested in seeing them (maybe even learning them, at some point.)

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

• 3 months later...