• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Knees from the clinch

Hey, what do u guys think about clinching in a real fight? and once there, wat do u think about kneeing? Would you wanna come that close in ur opinion? and wat about entering the clinch, wat would u do to enter?

"razor elbows, killer knees, iron fists and monster kicks"

"Nice punch!!!, now let's see how well you punch with a broken arm"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um here's an idea...avoid the clinch in a real fight. In my experiences most inexperienced fighters will try to clinch and smother, and then it just turns into a lot of rolling around on the ground. I find it's best to just drive punches straight down the pipe as most brawlers will throw wide haymakers. However, should you get ahold of their shirt, it makes for fine leverage to drive knees into a bent over face.

Yeah, I'd definitely clinch in a fight. Gives me a good opportunity to get a choke on someone, which is better than exchanging strikes, IMO. I probably wouldn't throw any knees, but that's just me, I'd go for the back and apply a choke. I might use knees to loosen someone up though.

To enter ? I'd probably shoot in.

I love the knee strike myself. Honestly even though I am a strike by trade I would rather be in close to a guy than 5 ft apart if we were fighting. Espically on the streets because now if he pulls a weapon like I can defend myself better.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Yeah Kensai, it prolly wouldn't be too good against multiple attackers, but das a bad situation no matter wat training you have. Northern Ogre i agree with wat you said about punching, it would be a good idea and the stright punch would likely make first contact...however i have no quams about rolling around on the ground if its one on one, i am a submission fighter after all, lol and hey i'm from Canada too!. Freestyler, i'm glad to see a grappler here. Choking is great, its good to get strong guess who rush at you with it, i'm small and not too strong but i've beaten a much bigger body builder with a guillotine. And G95champ, it does seem alot safer close up don't it? Das why when boxers are gettin pummeled they clinch to take a rest, thx for the replies guys.

"razor elbows, killer knees, iron fists and monster kicks"

"Nice punch!!!, now let's see how well you punch with a broken arm"

the average person stands there and throws wild punches while grabbing ur sleeves, makes it easy to use the muay thai double neck thai and ko them with knees since they have no idea how to defend against it, or go for a wrestling/judo takedown from clinch

• 1 month later...
I dont really understand the "clinch" but surely in real life this would impeade you from fighting off all his friends as well.

Try these with a pal:

1. Get up close with the partner. Put your palms behind his neck, as if you wanted to pull his head towards you and/or downwards. Now he does the same on top of your arms, his palms behind your neck, trying to pull you to him. First of all, during the whole exercise, try to resist the pull, keep your neck and back stiff and act as if "no way I'm I coming closer to you", but at the same time pulling his head. Pretend you are pulling his head down for a knee strike to face. Now the one with his hands on the "inside" has the advantage. So while pulling/resisting, the one with his hands on the outside, should constantly try to get his hands pushed from under to the inside and again behind the partners neck. Thus it is a competition of getting your hands behind his neck from the inside and pulling his head down to a knee strike (which is not done in the exercise). This is very, very sweaty work and strengthens your neck muscles a lot. But this is also a basic exercise on how to clinch (there are lots of different kinds of exercises, I usually start with this).

2. After you get the hang of this, you can add knee strikes to the abdomen. These are not done in a competition fashion though! You do them one-by-one in turns. He knees your stomach, you flex your abs to receive it safely. Then after his foot has touched ground, you immediately knee him and he takes the hit with the flexed abs. Each knee strike is accompanied with pulling him to the strike from his neck (and keeping him from escaping).

These exercises can help you get a glimpse of clinching and kneeing. It is very effective in real life too (add elbow strikes, head butts, sweeps, throws, traps and grappling).