• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any tips on how to improve my kicks?

KarateNewbie

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you're just starting out, I'd highly recommend stretching daily to improve your flexibility.

You'll also need to work on strengthening your hips. I had weak hips, and was prone to injury (that cursed round kick!) I was doing one-legged leg lifts in all 4 directions (laying down position) and simple bridges daily for about 2 months. Now I'm working on kicking drills at home a few times per week.

Jesse Enkamp has some decent videos about improving your kicks and flexibility that I've found helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L02E71aHbs

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

It’s really too broad of a question to ask and get much valuable information from us.

What style karate?

How long have you been training?

Which kicks?

If all kicks are weak, which kicks do you currently do?

The biggest question is... have you asked your teacher(s) and possibly senior students in your dojo? They see you and know you far better than we ever will.

First comes technique, then comes power... And work out what height is a good height for you to kick, harder to deliver a high powered kick to the head so sometimes better to aim lower.

Seriously, stretching legs, hip flexors etc etc that is what I would do, and work on that technique! For a mawashi-geri, ensure you are swivelling the standing foot, generates more power, as you are a newbie (going by your name), speak to your instructor (it's what they are there for), side thrust and side snap kicks are generally taught stepping sideways in front of the standing leg, this closes your hips up, try stepping behind, much better, more powerful

Just my opinion and ideas.

It’s really too broad of a question to ask and get much valuable information from us.

What style karate?

How long have you been training?

Which kicks?

If all kicks are weak, which kicks do you currently do?

The biggest question is... have you asked your teacher(s) and possibly senior students in your dojo? They see you and know you far better than we ever will.

JR hit the nail on the head. It's a bit of a broad question and hard to give an answer without seeing first.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

At the moment there just isn't any power in them. Any advice?

Developing solid power consistently will take time under the watchful eye of your instructor. No matter what, without the understanding of how the hips are the key of unleashing that power, nothing that matters will never come.

Understanding the key that unleashes that sought after power lies within the proper usage of ones hips if everything; power is in the hips!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Lots of great advice, here!

What rank are you? I don't think people are expected to have a lot of power during their earlier belts. It does develop over time. While the exercises I shared should be safe for anyone to do (provided they're somewhat careful,) your instructors and senior students should definitely be consulted!

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Along with what I said earlier...

Proper technique has to be developed first. This is assured under the eye of a direct instructor. Once the student has proper technique, the best way to develop power IMO is kicking things such as shields and heavy bags. Gradually build up until you’re kicking at full power.

Improper technique on a bag will be painful at best, and most likely cause injury.

But the best way to develop true power IMO is hitting a bag correctly.

Hi karateNewbie!

Seems like your style is Karate; Yes?

If you don't have any power in your kicks just yet, that might be a blessing in disguise.

Having powerful kicking abilities and weak unconditioned joints will only damage what you have.

Kicking involves the entire body not just the legs.

Stretching and Strengthening for kicking, should start off with only expert advice from your Sensei alone, having the first and last word on your progress, for at least the first three months.

As the internet has alot of great advice, but it isn't tailored to your needs, on the contrary your Sensei is.

If you are happy with your progress, with your Sensei for the first three months, go for another three months.

There is no magic to having great kicking abilities, only dedication, time and patience, will give you what you want.

You will only get out of it, from what you put in to it

:bowofrespect: