• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jack Slack's Ringcraft

Has anyone watched Jack Slack's Ringcraft series?

Episode 1 is about the importance of the stance:

Do you agree with the points made? Does it mirror what you do in your style?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stance is definitely important.

Our style tends to use fairly deep, linear stances for forms and for many of our basic techniques. In my opinion, it makes the forms look good, gives us a nice solid base, and really works the legs. When sparring, our fighting stance is a bit more natural.

I visited my friend's school, and their front/back stances are not as deep. Their back stance is also a offset a bit (to allow for one to pull their front foot back faster, if needed.)

As the narrator pointed out, each stance has its own strengths and weaknesses - they're 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

First time I've ever watched that series; thanks for sharing it, Danielle!!

That video served up some solid points on the subject. Shindokan stances are more upright. This allows us to move around more easier, and for us, close range is everything for us...the closer the better.

A proper stance is a point that can't be swept under the rug of confusion because the stance is everything!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

A particular stance (any stance) is less important than understanding how the stance is utilized in terms of mobilization and maximizing power.

Too many get fixated on the stance as seen in some fighting styles and this works against them. Understanding the stance and how to utilize it when flowing from one to the next movement (essentially forward, backward, side to side movement and circular) is key to be able to maximize power through balance, rooted structure and body mechanics.

Learning the stance and the techniques/applications associated with the stance is important but to get hung up on, "this is the only way to fight" or "you must be in this stance to deliver this technique", is missing the point.

Like Sensei8 our stances are natural (up right, flow, balanced, speed and quick maneuverability) and as Sensei8 states, close range versus long range is highlighted in our training. Having said this our training and the importance placed on stances might differ from more modern arts in terms of intended purpose and it's uses and benefits.

Too many associate linear movement with stances because of the way they are taught or taught as a specific goal (i.e. shortest distance a to b, in line). All too often circular movements are dismissed when too much importance on proper stances is given because it is taught in a line. It leads the student to move in a very linear orientation. This puts the student/practitioner in a force on force scenario instead of taking ones self out of the direct force and countering with little opposing force.

Example would be that most would consider backwards movement to be week but if utilizing stances as they are taught one can maximize on any movement. Stepping back in a forward stance to make distance (I know sounds off but stay with me), then as the opponent moves towards you you move your left foot out into a horse stance and quickly transition to a cat stance (right foot forward), you are now outside of the opponents path and to their side able to strike un-opposed by force or strength. This is very basic and I used generic terms for those that are just learning but it makes the point that to concentrate on a particular stance is missing the intended purpose of the stances. They are transitions from one to the next in order to teach the student how to move and be ready to utilize any technique while in movement. If you analyze the Kata you will see this very point.

It's ok to practice a stance and its techniques/applications to learn how to maximize your power and learn proper balance and rooting but to know how to transition from one to the next in a fluid way, basically mobility from one point to the next, either straight or circular, is much more important than a singular stance or the understanding of a singular stance.

Just my 2 cents for what that's worth.

Bob, this is obviously not describing your art or you. However after reading this before posting it certainly reads that way. Just making a clarification so this does not come off as opposing your point of view or your post.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

• 3 years later...

I can't believe I've never seen this until now. That was quite an interesting video, and I loved his discussions. Footwork is so important!

Great channel, Danielle. I've subscribed.

I can't believe I've never seen this until now. That was quite an interesting video, and I loved his discussions. Footwork is so important!

Great channel, Danielle. I've subscribed.

You've just reminded me of it, am rewatching now :lol:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 4 weeks later...