• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which Kata can beat the other Kata.

David Miller

A few form pointers.

Most forms finish in the same place that was started in, also pay attention to the correct angles.

Form follows function, in ether an offensive or defensive technique; think of the moves being used against an imaginary opponent.

Using the correct pauses in each stance which is connected with keeping good balance throughout the form.

Each technique should stand out from the next, all the while maintaining harmony from start to finish, with experience, pauses and timing becomes less exaggerated.

Conserving muscle energy by using maximum power and minimal effort, achieved with breathing control, using forceful outward exhalation on each block and strike.

Kee-ahps are unique to each person, by contracting the abdomial muscles, will help in generating a forceful exploding sound.

Practice the form with just a few of these pointers at a time, then add more when needed :bowofrespect:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Thanks for the reply sensei Alan, that was a solid post. Yes, i will work on those points that you have mentioned. Thanks again.

Kata principles workshop

Kata workshop intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H6mEMLkQUs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udpo1xj-624

Impressing kata judges

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfbtw3aVKWE

Hello everyone,

I know I have heard this a lot when people say a good kata can beat any Kata even a white belt Kata can beat a black belt ones, I'm not disagreeing with it I know that your Kata has to be good regardless of what Kata you are doing. But my question here is that which Kata can beat a good Unsu? I know it is a very difficult Kata to beat because it has so many technical moves to perform and if you perform those properly, it can get really tough to beat that Kata. Now, this has happened to me before and I had no clue on what to do against a good Unsu and ended up losing (this was a year ago). So, what Kata can beat a good Unsu? Thanks

I'm unclear as to what you mean when you mean one kata beating another. Are you talking in competition? Are you talking about the bukai of one kata vs the techniques of another? I'm a bit confused as to what you are asking.

Performing a kata (in competition) above one's grade level, will most likely be less appreciated, than one that is within the scope of the student.

Better to be great at the first kata learned, than to be sloppy at all ten katas.

As the difficulty of the katas become more challenging, the student's experience, skill and proficiency will also rise.

To practice katas for tournaments and winning trophies, works for your motivation, then who is to say this is right or wrong, artists no matter the label, go through learning phases, just as if when learning to walk for the first time, that can eventually lead to doing summersaults.

Keep on keeping on that works for you.

• 8 months later...

Assuming two people physically built the same do two different kata with no mistakes, strong stances, hips, focus, and spirit: the the kata thiught to be more difficult should score higher.

Thus a kata like Unsu is hard to beat because it has jumps, drops, quick shifts, balance, change of direction, power techniques, quick techniques and very original techniques. On top of all that it's a long kata.

Many smaller people may preform a kata like Empi, Ganganku or Nijushisho at high level competitions. While larger people tend to use Sochin, Jion, and Gojushisho Sho and Dai.

IMO those are the kata most commonly seen at the highest competitions. Now Empi and Jion are normally lower black belt kata but they may match the performers body style better. Likewise they may have trained Empi or Jion for 10-20 years but only done one of the higher kata for 4-5 so naturally the one you have done longer should be better.

IMO Kanku Sho is a great tournament kata, IDK why is not used more often. I am a large man (6'1 315lbs) and I use Kanku Sho anytime a small faster opponent does a good kata with a jump. Point being, I try to show as many skills at the highest leval possible.

I love Ganganku however, I do not balance well. Thus I'll never do it in competition despite th fact it is one of my favorites. Furthermore if I think the competition is weaker or I have not trained like normal I may use Hangetsu or Jittie because I can overplay my size and strength and make those kata look very strong.

So simple answer pick the kata you do the best that presents as many different aspects of your skill set. You will always have 2-3 fall back kata that you feel very comfortable with that you can do as a breaker or if you feel bad. Point being don't try a high kata that you can't do well. The name of the kata is second to the presentation.

The question comes when a Unsu done with a few mistakes or sloppy techniques beats a Jittie done perfect. That's a big debate lol

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

You know what gets in the way?? Judges and competitors!! However, what fun would it be without either...or both!!?? Do the best and hope and pray that everything works out in the end.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!