• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Advice for Jumping Kicks?

Don't worry about that. Any Taekwondo instructor worth his salt will not "care" how high you jump. It is not emphasized as much as people percieve it to be. There are legit 5 Dans who barely get off the ground so you are in good company.

There really are no good tips... Some people jump better than others.

I used to be able to jump decently, but I was never explosive. Now its just painful to jump.

The biggest things I tried to concentrate on when doing jumping techniques were: 1, really throwing up the "leverage leg," the one you hoist up to jump off the other, and 2, tucking the legs while in the air, especially on side kicks. Those two things helped me out the most.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking in terms of function and practicality, the reason for the jump seems to be more significant than how high one jumps when doing a jump-kick. Just as with regular kicking techniques, one should seek to develop the correct mechanics and form.

Once this is achieved, increasing power and height will not be difficult. In addition to this, it is a good idea to train just jumping by doing squat-jumps or similar excercises.

My kicks have been improving! I am definitely working more on technique than height at the moment. Ultimately, getting my foot off the ground was (and still is) the big challenge.

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)