• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Change Is Always Emotional!!

When it comes to changing routine behavior, slow and steady really does win the race. Behavior change is a process, not an event. Rather than picking a day to jump in and try to change everything at once, in the long term it's more effective...and less stressful...to take on a new behavior or two and practice them for a while until they become familiar and more routine.

You can then take on another healthy habit, working down your list of behaviors you'd like to change over time. If you're persistent enough, these new routines will eventually become just the way you do things.

For many people, the first step in changing behavior is to work on halting negative self-talk. People really are capable of change.

I oftentimes see the refusal to change as that stumbling block that stubbornly gets in the way from improving themselves on the floor. Having said that, that individual that can't seem to break the horrific chains that are slowly choking the life out of their MA betterment, in which, the simplest thing in the MA turns into the most difficult.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There were a few big changes I've made in my life - and they were for the better!

Regularly eating salads, or not eating huge portions of pasta, or not eating an entire pizza in a sitting were all difficult changes I had to make, but I made them, and feel better for it.

I've also kicked a nasty Mountain Dew habit (years ago) and regulated my sleep schedule to fit what people would consider to be "a normal" pattern.

Of all these, the sleep pattern took the longest - it was probably about 2 years of effort.

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Great points, Bob. I think you hit the nail on the head; trying to change all of a sudden is doomed for failure, as we are creatures of habit.