• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata: the Fundamental Element of Martial Arts

G95champ

You've said what I feel and haven't been able pass on to people that ask me why I do my sets, It personal I tell them and you can see their expressions, no clue. Thank you.

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Katas, Forms, etc are one of my weak points, its something i have to really focus on because i am so into the contact aspect.

One way I am able to help motivate myself in Katas, and my students is to once in a while have them do contact katas..

basically i will have about 4 other students surround the student doing the kata and have them do the attacks that match the moves in the kata.

I have found it to be a great tool to help students who may have difficulties understanding the moves int he kata.

• 1 month later...

I agree at 100%.

I think that a well done kata reflects a good martial artist. It is complete, with stances, strikes well done, moves, it really shows how much someone has understand the basic of a martial arts.

• 1 month later...

I agree with the above posts. For conventional MAs kata are very important.

Train like your life depends on it....Because it does.

G95Champ:

Great article. I agree especially with the difference you make between a fighter and a martial artist, and also between modern/ancient society.

I think the truth is many of us today treat a MA as a sport and not a MA.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle

i agree, if you take away kata karate is no longer an art

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi