• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mindsets in Education - and in Martial Arts?

Educators might already be familiar with this initiative. To sum it up briefly, the research covers the idea of a "fixed mindset" vs. a "growth mindset." Someone with a growth mindset believes they can improve their abilities by trying hard, and not giving up if something is challenging. Those with a fixed mindset believes they were born with a set ability that they cannot change.

It is something that we are starting to implement at a large scale in the community college where I teach. I suspect the ideas presented here could easily be adapted in the dojo/dojang (I've made several personal connections regarding how I approach learning taekwondo!) In fact, it probably wouldn't hurt for the kids to hear it from someone other than their school teachers!

https://www.mindsetkit.org/

There's some good stuff here, and it's at no cost. Just a thought. :-)

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think its always important to tell others that no matter what they are doing, they can get better at it. Its important to motivate others in this way.

I think its always important to tell others that no matter what they are doing, they can get better at it. Its important to motivate others in this way.

I wholeheartedly agree!!

What kind of CI would I be if I didn't motivate my Student Body that they can, and will get better at it on a daily basis?!?! With every failure, comes immeasurable success on and off the floor, and every success overshadows that failure as though it hadn't occurred as only a learning opportunity.

7 times down; 8 times up!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

This is why I don't have my daughter practice her katas with out my supervision. Or her mother's after I have helped her understand what to look for. I am afraid the grandmothers would just praise without knowing what they were looking at.

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano