• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Giving up then returning back to martial arts

No, I've never stopped learning/training in the MA, to only resume learning/training later on; in which, it'll be 53 years this October since my MA journey began.

:)

That really is awesome!! :-)

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've never "given up" on Martial Arts, but I have had life happen a couple of times where it required a bit of a hiatus from active training.

Coming back sucks, as things don't really get easier to do the older (and heavier) I get. But, it always comes back, and I learn more about what I can and can't do, and I have to adapt my training to that.

I trained as a child but left after reaching 5th Kyu. I returned some 26 years later. I re-joined the same club with the same instructor and I've not looked back since.

The hardest thing was walking through the dojo doors on my own but, everyone made me feel welcome and I slotted right in. I started from 9th Kyu as it was such a long gap I was essentially a beginner.

4 and a half years later and I'm now a brand new shodan and loving every minute of it. Although every now and again the thought of "where would I be now if I'd never left?" sometimes crosses my mind.

What brought me back was, I had joined an MMA class as a way of getting back in to shape. It quickly became apparent that there would be no teaching to speak of, we were left to whack a heavy bag for the duration of the class, with no mention of keeping your guard up or how you should be throwing a punch. So I junked it and looked up my old instructor..........

Mo.

Edited by mazzybear

Be water, my friend.

I've had peaks and lulls over the years, often it was related to the activity level of club I was training with, sometimes it was changes in priorities in my own life.

The first time I slacked off was after college, getting established in career and the rest of life. Coming back to it a couple of years later wasn't too bad at a local club that didn't train too hard. But then I stepped it up, to advance in dan rank. Then I got more into non-traditional training, and it was certainly rougher. Eventually I lost interest and the clubs folded or moved.

I've always kept my own solo training going, though not very consistently, just for fitness and flexibility.

Although every now and again the thought of "where would I be now if I'd never left?" sometimes crosses my mind

Give or take a little bit, I know exactly where I'd be if I never left. The guy I tested for shodan with and would've tested for nidan with if I didn't go away to grad school was promoted to godan last year. We came up through the ranks together, with him starting about a month before I did. He never left.

I'd most likely be at the same rank if I never left. No regrets though. Life happened, and in a good way. I wouldn't change anything.