• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are y'all's opinions regarding sine wave? I've seen some folks perform their forms with them and some without. None of the schools I went to taught sine wave and I tend to see it as unnecessary movement.

What are your thoughts?

"I come to you with only Karate, empty hands. I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor, should it be a matter of life or death, of right or wrong; then here are my weapons, Karate, my empty hands." - Ed Parker

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I do ITF TKD so have been taught to do sine wave...

I think the important thing is that, just like fundamentals and form practice, it is a tool for developing (correct) mechanics. In a free fight situation I'm not going to do perfect technical sine wave, but then neither am I going to form a perfect front stance and block.

The problem is most people who do it don't understand it properly so when it is taught it is taught wrong and over the top. Bigger isn't better and not every move should have it either.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I'm a non-sine wave TKD practitioner; ironically, I practice the ITF forms. Prior to that, however, I was in the ATA and did not use sine wave then, either.

I have done lots of watching of sine wave forms, and although I understand the reasoning behind it, its not my preference for generating power. I've always used my hips more, and tried not to rise and fall when I do techniques.

Now, with that said, I'm not saying sine wave doesn't work. I'd have to spend time learning and doing it to really make a decision there. Its just another way of doing things.