• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Forms With Your Eyes Closed?

Try Kata in a pool

I like doing that.

And stretching in the pool. I can get splits (if that's what we're calling them :) ) a lot deeper.

Kata and the splits in a pool. Sounds like a hoot! :-)

Try doing kata or anything else MA in the ocean. Waves do funny things to your balance.

Edit: I'd imagine it's not too easy to get to the ocean if you live in Michigan. Motivation for a vacation?

I'm about a mile off of Lake Michigan, and 60 miles from Lake Superior. Superior gets 3-5 foot waves fairly regularly. It's probably a bit colder than you'd like, however.

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try Kata in a pool

I like doing that.

And stretching in the pool. I can get splits (if that's what we're calling them :) ) a lot deeper.

Try doing kata or anything else MA in the ocean. Waves do funny things to your balance.

Edit: I'd imagine it's not too easy to get to the ocean if you live in Michigan. Motivation for a vacation?

I'm about a mile off of Lake Michigan, and 60 miles from Lake Superior. Superior gets 3-5 foot waves fairly regularly. It's probably a bit colder than you'd like, however.

I didn't realize the Great Lakes had waves. I learned something new today.

I've been on a cold shower after I work out kick lately. I've been to beaches in Maine and New Hampshire; the water can be freezing sometimes, even in August.

Try Kata in a pool

I like doing that.

Edit: I'd imagine it's not too easy to get to the ocean if you live in Michigan.

Motivation for a vacation?

I've been on a cold shower after I work out kick lately. I've been to beaches in Maine and New Hampshire; the water can be freezing sometimes, even in August.

Surface temps of Lake Superior can grow to the low 60's, but that's late-summer, and the thermocline might be only a foot or 2. The water under that is probably high-30's or low 40's at best.

You might be familiar with Gordon Lightfoot's Edmond Fitzgerald. It's about an ore ship that went down during a nasty storm back in 1975. It happened by Whitefish Point (just west of Sault Ste Marie and the Soo Locks.) Waves out there can get BRUTAL.

Here's the tune:

The Great Lakes can get real nasty storms. There are lots of shipwrecks too!

I have heard Coast Guard stories about the Great Lakes. I want to be on shore during those storms.

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

The Great Lakes can get real nasty storms. There are lots of shipwrecks too!

I have heard Coast Guard stories about the Great Lakes. I want to be on shore during those storms.

I've witnessed a few. Unfortunately, I live on the NW portion of Lake Michigan, and since most weather comes from the west, or north west, they're not Lake Effect.

That being said, I do have about 40 seconds of footage of a storm blowing in. I was standing on my balcony, which faces west. There was an amazing shelf cloud or wall cloud (not an expert... maybe one of the folks from the Plains-States would know.) That was an AMAZING storm!

• 2 weeks later...
Try Kata in a pool

I like doing that.

I ran across this article just now, and thought to share:

http://www.mlive.com/weather/index.ssf/2017/08/dangerous_northwest_winds_expe.html#incart_river_index

We have the kids do them blind folded. It's a great test of your stances and turns. Being just a little off on each step or turn really adds up over the course of the kata.

We do this too, mainly with the kids but, now and again the adults have to do it too. We also use loud noises through the duration of someone's kata to further make them focus. It's no fun when you have to do it blindfolded and with enough noise to wake the dead! :lol: Good feeling when you take the blindfold off to see you've nailed it though.

Mo.

Be water, my friend.