• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Forms With Your Eyes Closed?

I've done it before, but don't care for the practice. Balance gets harder because we rely so much on what we can see in our kinesthetic awareness. Take away one of the senses, and things get a lot tougher.

That right there...is why we do kata with our eyes closed as often as we do kata with our eyes open. It's that awareness that we take for granted. Especially when one of the senses, in this case, sight, are taken away. It's true, things get tougher, but the other senses make up for it.

Your movements are much more to the point, and wasted movements become things of the past. Adapt and conquer, I say!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A fun game is to do the kaya with your eyes closed and try to end up facing the right direction.

By all means!!

I get a kick out of just how far they are from when they ended the kata, to where they started the kata; not even close.

:P

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I have an idea of what my future mobility looks like. I figure if I practice with some sensory deprivation I might help out later on.

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

We've done it before a few times, usually as a fun exercise rather than serious training tool. Have also done kata in reverse or as a mirror image.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Try Kata in a pool

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

We also do what we call ura kata - a 360 spin before every forward step. Apparently it used to be a Mas Oyama training tool and not part of any official syllabus, but a lot of Kyokushin schools and their offshoots have made it part of their syllabi. Seido Juku included in the dan ranks for kyu kata.

It's a good way to change things up, but I'm not a fan of making it a formal requirement and testing students on it.

Try Kata in a pool

I like doing that.

And stretching in the pool. I can get splits (if that's what we're calling them :) ) a lot deeper.

Kata and the splits in a pool. Sounds like a hoot! :-)

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Try Kata in a pool

I like doing that.

And stretching in the pool. I can get splits (if that's what we're calling them :) ) a lot deeper.

Kata and the splits in a pool. Sounds like a hoot! :-)

Try doing kata or anything else MA in the ocean. Waves do funny things to your balance.

Edit: I'd imagine it's not too easy to get to the ocean if you live in Michigan. Motivation for a vacation?