• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Positive Reinforcement Vs. Punishment

We used "p-n-p" at our school too! Works wonders for self esteem and positive attitude! P-n-p=positive statement, correction(negative), positive statement.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as far as teaching karate with new kids. I go hard at first. If they are screwing arround and junk I give them squat kicks or something hard to do. That way I see if they are going to quit or what. However once you start to make ranks I move away from being so mean. Partly because they have already proven they can do it and partly because they have done it beofre and learned they don't like doing 100 squat kicks.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

My old school never really said anything, which is a shame, i think girls should be encouraged to go to self-defence class, and a lot of large companies like you to do this sort of thing. My Uncle and I.T instructor who both were in the army said it would be a good idea, as they both work in I.T, and there is nothing worse than becoming a fat computer freak!

*rubs hand together*

This is my kind of topic!

I believe a happy medium has to be met, and it may have to be made on an individual basis. Some people respond better to criticism than others.

Discipline is definately a good thing. I was a Girl Guide for years in a pack where there was a little discipline, but not much. It was crap. I left feeling I'd gained nothing. I then became involved in the Boys' Brigade. Its a totally different kettle of fish. It is moderately disciplined most of the time, but extrememly disciplined when leading up to special events eg. competitions, and this gets results from the boys (and from me).

You have to be careful, though. Discipline in the martial arts can be effective, but it can also be counter productive. My karate class is relatively laid-back. Our Sensei can be quite strict, but most of the time he's quite cool with us and the classes are usually largely taken by another instructor who is very laid-back and sees the humour in everything. This works for me. I'm happy there and learn through the relaxed atmosphere.

At the aikido class I've recently joined it seems to be the opposite. At first, the Sensei was encouraging and that worked for me, but then he started getting disciplined. He was shouting and getting frustrated and angry. I wouldn't have minded if I'd been carrying on or not trying, but I was trying my hardest and already felt bad that I couldn't achieve ehat he wanted with or without him screaming at me.

I think the martial arts are intimidating enough for a lot of participants. After all, they're fighting other people, using strange customs and terminology form other countries etc.etc. Discipline just isn't always necessary. If, of course, someone is being disrespectful, wasting precious class time etc. or not living up to their potential, then discipline can be a useful tool to remedy them.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

it depends on the student. I think kids need the praise-correct-praise, but it must be done properly. Class for kids is all about excitement. If a kid is excited about doing well, they will try that much harder to try well.

For adults, I don't think it works quite as well, maybe give a praise-correct only. Adults know when they aren't doing well, or atleast you would think they would. Adults, i think, are generally more serious about their training, so would appreciate the constructive critisism more.

All I know is my experience. Our school uses no negative criticism whatsoever, only the praise-correct-praise. We have a sister school that does nothing but negative criticism. When it comes to tournaments, we own them. We have about twice as many students. Our facilites are about 3 times as large. All told, we are much more succesful than they are, which leads me to believe we are doing something right.

Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling a pig. After a few hours, you realize they both like it.

The question of "discipline" seems to vary according to the perceptions of the student. At my old uni club in Baltimore, I taught as I had been taught (corrections, pushups, adn little more praise than "good, do it again!") and found that the students felt I was "mean."

Where I study now, similar measures are used, and many "old-timres" consider the training too easy beacuse we (gasp!) stop one hour into the training for a water break, and can ask our partners to go a bit lighter at kotekite (arm/shin/body conditioning). Perception seems to be the key.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

• 1 month later...

Good Point Monkeygirl!!

we do the same in my class. I always end in a correction with a positive note. With kids you have to very positive.

also not on the supject here ut does anyone else besides me to the miro image method?

exp.. "extend your right arm" when I tell them this I extend my left arm.

this works great with kids!

sometimes I do it so much, when I'm not in class, I cant tell my right from my left. LOL :lol:

oot_man: I do this all the time when I'm in front of class! However, I'm only really coordinated enough to do it for simple moves :D

If it's a long complicated move, I have to turn around so I'm facing the same way as the class...I can't go on calling my right hand my left hand four times in a row. It'll mess me up for a week :lol:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.