• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Reading.

Freestyler

With all of that said when I was in school I loved reading the classics. Meaning the Greeks up to Shakesphere.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read quite a lot when I have the time.

For part of my English dissertation this year I'm reading a play called Huis Clos by Jean-Paul Sartre, and I think it is awesome.

I read martial arts books too when I can find any decent ones. I read a book a few months ago and it was about martial arts legends, fables, "parables" etc. It was excellent.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

I'm reading the Hannial Lecter omnibus I had for Christmas. I've done Red Dragon and have just started Silence of the Lambs. Scary stuff! ZeRo, I'm also a big Lorenzo Carcaterra fan, having just read Gansters. Good book, but not as good as Sleepers.

I'm also reading a Database Systems book, but that aint no fun!

Reading is essential to thinking.

Thinking is essential to fighting.

My translation of Five Rings includes the discussion of the phrase Bunbu Itchi, pen and sword in accord.

I worked out with Dr. GT, Chair of the English Department at ESU who convinced me to return to school and get a degree, which I did. He gave me a reading list some of which included,

Crime and Punishment - Dostoyevsky

The Trial - Kafka

Slughterhouse Five - Vonnegut

(It was such a god list and now memory escapes me... Head blows. What can you do after the fact, eh?)

Some of my personal likes,

Magistre Ludi - Hesse (actually ALL of Hesse)

Dog Years - Gunter Grasse

Farenheit 451, Brave New World, 1984, Animal Farm - ALL still applicable.

And the writing style of Trevenian who even made spy stuff palatable in the Eiger Sanction and the Loo Sanction. Shimbumi is a great read for MArtial Artists!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

'Junk' by Melvin Burgess is a very interesting read and insight into the life of a pair of teenagers who run away and become friends with two others. It goes all into how they become addicted to some serious drugs, and is about the friendship, love, the drugs and the pain. Its great.

The "Art of War" by Sun Tzu is a very good read, I got confused by it when I last tried to read it over a year ago, but I will give it another shot shortly.

"Living the Martial Way" is a very good book with a lot of insight into martial arts.

At the moment I am reading the Kurt Cobain Journals because a friend lent me it - it's an interesting insight into the way the guy thinks.

I am also going to start reading some Iain M. Banks books in the future.

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

The secret to Art of War is repeated readings ignoring the footnotes.

Furthermore, I you take and cross out all the repeated material, you pretty much get Go Rin No Sho...

Machiavelli says about the same things in a way closer to you cultural viewpoint.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

I have to set aside a whole day because I tend to read him cover-to-cover once I get going. I've started one of his non-fiction works, but it wasn't as gripping, got put down, and was never picked up again.

Oh well. We're not all perfect.