• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tai Chi Chuan "Grand Ultimate Fist"

What is a Tai Chi punch or fist?

All martial art styles have a certain way of punching, striking or kicking that differentiates them all.

A boxers jab.

A karate punch.

Wing Chun chain punches.

A kung Fu vertical punch.

Muay Thai round kick.

TKD tornado kick.

A Tai Chi Chaun ???

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think its just a name, and not what results from the training. Perhaps they are trying to make the whole body a "fist" as a weapon to protect oneself.

I think its just a name, and not what results from the training. Perhaps they are trying to make the whole body a "fist" as a weapon to protect oneself.
The nearest I know and have seen to make the whole body as a human weapon is in Muay Thai Boxing the furthest away being Tai Chi Chuan.

• 5 weeks later...

It's a name that doesn't translate well literally. We call it Tai Chi generically just like "karate".

Tai Chi Chuan really isn't about punching or fists, anyway. Most practitioners aren't into the martial aspects at all. There are indeed strikes like punches, open hand (soo do) strikes and pushes, crescent & front kicks in the form I do.

• 2 weeks later...

Grand ultimate fist.

Perhaps it was once upon a time.

Or perhaps like calling "Greenland" and "Iceland" they are contradictions, where one is greener and one is icier than the other.

Now the health benefits of practicing Tai Chi outweighs the fighting aspects.

As the "Chi" aspect has been used and abused while continuously being discredit, also misrepresented, this is very unfortunate.

Chi is an important aspect for martial artists to understand, to ignore its existence, is eliminating a vital component.

A person can live very well without understanding Chi, whereas those that understand its benefits, can cultivate and practice with others, sharing beneficial health tips and perspectives, that have been practiced for many centuries.