• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ponytails and Martial arts

I had long hair in the late 80s in college. I used to get hit in the eye by my ponytail holder when I threw spinning kicks. As a stand-up fighter, I never thought twice about it. That is until I watched UFC One. The ability to grab at the head & hair. Then my eyes were opened to the ugly possibilities.

I watch MMA fighters like Benson Henderson wear their hair really long is a mystery to me. Yet even he had braided it many times (although not every time, oddly) for fights.

Time has taken care of my ability to wear my hair long and it still has the chance to look good. But as a fighter, I certainly see the need for shorter hair...even for stand-up fighters.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had long hair in the late 80s in college. I used to get hit in the eye by my ponytail holder when I threw spinning kicks. As a stand-up fighter, I never thought twice about it. That is until I watched UFC One. The ability to grab at the head & hair. Then my eyes were opened to the ugly possibilities

I watch MMA fighters like Benson Henderson wear their hair really long is a mystery to me. Yet even he had braided it many times (although not every time, oddly) for fights.

Time has taken care of my ability to wear my hair long and it still has the chance to look good. But as a fighter, I certainly see the need for shorter hair...even for stand-up fighters.

Not much of a mystery considering hair pulling is against the rules, in at least UFC is concerned; Rule 15.A.v.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Being a male is an automatic disadvantage, too. Shall we cut that off, as well? ;-p

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

I had long hair in the late 80s in college. I used to get hit in the eye by my ponytail holder when I threw spinning kicks. As a stand-up fighter, I never thought twice about it. That is until I watched UFC One. The ability to grab at the head & hair. Then my eyes were opened to the ugly possibilities

Not much of a mystery considering hair pulling is against the rules, in at least UFC is concerned; Rule 15.A.v.

:)

There are more disadvantages to fighting with long hair than just having it pulled. Henderson spent so much time pushing his hair out of his face during the first fight with Anthony Pettis that it negatively affected his ability to defend himself.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Have quite long hair myself that i wear into a ponytail when training or up in a bun, no real issues whilst training in MA class, self defence wise i generally wear my hair up day to day anyway plus with the majority of street fights i have witnessed (involving women anyway) they generally start with the two girls clamping onto each others hair and not letting go, (blokes fights i've seen have generally been windmill arms all over the place). So if someone was to grab my hair i would feel confident enough to know that i would be able to counter it thanks to self defence techniques taught in class.

I do wonder though how i would cope in bjj where you are rolling around on the ground and there is more chance of your partner rolling on to your hair unintentionally and effectively pinning your head to the mat! lol

Shaun: 'Take car. Go to mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over'

I had long hair in the late 80s in college. I used to get hit in the eye by my ponytail holder when I threw spinning kicks. As a stand-up fighter, I never thought twice about it. That is until I watched UFC One. The ability to grab at the head & hair. Then my eyes were opened to the ugly possibilities.

I believe that even though hair pulling is against UFC rules, there are still maximum length standards. I remember Emil Meek being forced to shave for a fight. Women fighters usually have corn rows. Whether this is to comply with rules or be more practical I am not sure.

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

At a crowded party, I witnessed one person giving another person a light for his cigarette, a young man with his back to them, flicked his hair back and it caught on fire.

There are other issues concerning long hair due to insects and hygiene.

Those that have an original Rastafarian hair style, is usually cleaned in the ocean, something inner city dwellers don't have readily available to them.

:-? As a female who's had long hair all my life, I've never had that problem. I just take showers regularly...

I don't think long hair on men is inherently dirtier than long hair on women and most people seem fine with long hair for women.

At a crowded party, I witnessed one person giving another person a light for his cigarette, a young man with his back to them, flicked his hair back and it caught on fire.

Those that have an original Rastafarian hair style, is usually cleaned in the ocean, something inner city dwellers don't have readily available to them.

I've known plenty of inner-city folk with dreads. They use shampoo just like everyone else.

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

I've known plenty of inner-city folk with dreads. They use shampoo just like everyone else.

None residue shampoo is preferable, if dreds are not cared for adequately the hair can grow mold.