• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Good Style For Police Officers

I think any style would be a help...something with quick effective strikes or something that teaches disarming techniques would be ideal. Combination of a striking and grappling art....Sambo and Shotokan...maybe.....No style takes importance over another. You also have to remember what is in the confines of the law.....hmmm..sorry just thinking.

Hapkido and Sambo (or BJJ)

Tae Kwon Do and Aikido

Combinations are almost endless.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once watched a seminar about Unarmed Techniques for the Police, and the Japanese instructor said he didn't use a particular style for Police officers since they don't have the time to train enough time to be proficent in a particular martial Art.

This Instuctor used a mix of Traditional Japanese martial arts like Aikido, Judo, karate, in a style that i don't remind the name right now, but it was developed strickly for police officers Training.

It was interesting, lots of join locks, takedowns, Low kicks, not too much punching, NO high/spinning/jumping kicks, Lots of techniques against weapons like Clubs, baseball bats, knifes, etc...

Very practical and very easy to learn. but as i said, that was only for police officers. I felt lucky that they let me at least watch. lol

It was interesting, lots of join locks, takedowns, Low kicks, not too much punching, NO high/spinning/jumping kicks, Lots of techniques against weapons like Clubs, baseball bats, knifes, etc...

Sounds a lot like the Aki Jujitsu I was learning. I think it's good for officers to expand their basic training and get involved in a martial art. It prepares them much better.

An example would be this one officer I know that's taking Aki Jujitsu back home while all the other officers were being taught Shotokan. Not a modified Shotokan either, a pure McDojo kind of Shotokan. I never worry about getting into a confrontation with any of them.

I find that whatever you take is good, as long as you know what the job entails.

I teach Shaolin, I work in Law Enforcement. It works very well, why? Because I am able to draw from experience and the knowledge of the job, the legal issues involved, and extrapulate the usefull and justifiable techniques, and apply it to actual situations.

Generally speaking unless you are getting instruction from someone who is a qualified martial arts instructor and works in law enforcement, you probably are not getting the best training out there. I'm not saying that the training is not good, but lacks a specific knowledge base from working in the field.

I had gone to a studio once, and the instructor proceeded to tell me that many of his students wanted to be police officers, and that they helped them getting the job in writing reference letters, because they were highly respected by the police. It was a load of bull, a selling point. Don't get sucked in by sales pitches.

Bottom line the best style is the style that you enjoy and will go and practice on a regular basis. One that teaches you self awareness, and has practical street application (not just a sport school). If law enforcement is a line of work you are involved in or wish to get involved in, you will be able to extrapulate through experience, what you can and cannot use.

I understand that here in Britain the most commonly taught martial arts for the police, and even the special forces, is a modified form of aikido/aikijujutsu. They are normally much faster techniques to learn than pure aikido because the goal is simple, reliable moves which are not unnecessarily violent; rather than complex, flowing, 'perfect form'. Therefore, there is a greater use of striking and pain to distract an opponent, and a concentration on defending against the forms of attack likely to be used by an average criminal rather than a trained martial artsist. As always, the best guideline is to learn whatever is avaliable that best suits your purposes.

I trained Shotokan for a lot of years, and there were a lot of law enforcement where I trained (PDs, FBI, Narc., Fire Department, etc...). It seemed to be quite effective - I wonder if you are compairing the lower levels of the art and not the higher levels which just takes time(?). However, there was one Officer (high level black belt) that paralized a rapist in action (for life) and was left without a job over the incident. Considering your job, I'm thinking that Aikido might be a little more appropriate for your profession - unless you feel that you might need to kill, then Shotokan will assist you in that ability.

What martial art style(s) would you recomend for police officers to study?

Throughout my life I've taken American Kenpo on and off.....which I really liked but Kenpo schools in my area have all but vanished.

I've also done some Shotokan training which I did not care for as it was too stiff and the low stances really didn't seem very practical to me.

[snip...]

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

• 1 month later...

im taking police foundations in college right now. i am a competitiive kickboxer and i train in jiu jitsu as well. the take downs and joint manipulations, chokes and grappling techniques i know will come in pretty handy!

i also know disarming techniques but i need alot more practice at that stuff.

Hmm I would have to say, Kali or any decent Eskrima styles, don't take something like "Arnis Karate" or something like that, you'll end up waiving a wooden knife around for "training". Teaches people to spot a Knife Fighter, to tell whether they are trained or not.

I also think Jiu Jitsu is perfect for cops, not Brazilian Jiu Jitsu though, might put some bad habits into a cop.

I own you.