• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Good Style For Police Officers

What martial art style(s) would you recomend for police officers to study?

Throughout my life I've taken American Kenpo on and off.....which I really liked but Kenpo schools in my area have all but vanished.

I've also done some Shotokan training which I did not care for as it was too stiff and the low stances really didn't seem very practical to me.

Many police officers in my area take a Shotokan based style called Kwanmukan which is a mixture of Shotokan, Judo & Kubudo.

I recently found a dojo, run by police officers, that teaches Aiki-Jutsu, Goshin-Ryu Karate and a Poekoelan style of Kung Fu.

They are letting me go there FREE for one month to see if I like it and all I have to do is ask about a move/technique and BAM they show me every aspect of it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Aikido is a very good style for the police. Perhaps not Ki Aikido which is what I study, but Yosinkan. If you can find any Aikido dojo I am sure it would be beneficial. As Aikido techniques, to begin with are not deadly. So therefore can be used against criminals. They are also focused towards standing up grappling, which I would imagin for a police officer would be useful.

Take Care.

Frogman, that's a very good deal you have with the dojo. I don't know much about those styles though. What do they entail ?

However, I would think a police officer needs to know how to grapple, so he can effectively control and handcuff an offender. He can't beat the crap out of someone until he's out cold before 'cuffing him.

Weapons defense, against knives & guns.

Ground experience, so he's comfortable if he ends up on the ground, and can quickly get to his feet again.

IMO, I think cross-training is the way to go, I'm a strong advocate of cross training. Maybe JKD (Jeet Keen Do) is more along the lines of what you want, however, it's not really a style, it uses 'no style', as 'the style'. A good JKD class should incorprate all the aspects I mentioned.

Krav maga is a possible style you might have a look into, it's a very aggressive style which taught to the Israeli government and is based on natural and instinctive movements. It was also designed to bring people of all sorts of ages and fitness levels to a very proficient level in hand to hand combat. It covers a lot of things, which are mainly for ending a fight as quick as possible. So, as a police officer, I imagine you have a lot of legal concerns and it might not be the best style if you don't want to harm an offender.

For what its worth, I train with and know several police officers who do ITF Taekwon-do.

One officer told me how he had to used his training on the job against a knife attack, and to his surprise his TKD training actually works (I’m not talking flashy kicks here). Mind you, the officers I know are all black belts, but hey, you have to start somewhere.

Anyway whichever martial art you choose, stick with it, it may save your life one day.

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

Well, I would say about 3 or so years. Depending on how hard you train. But the good thing about Aikido, is you cover, tanto, bokken and Jo in great detail. These weapons or weapons like them (knife, snooker que, baseball bat...etc) you are likely to run into in the street.

But Like John said, MOST systems will be really useful, especially than having no martial art experience at all.

Take Care.

We have several Police officers in my dojang. Hapkido is good becouse you get it all. Many systems are good I know but I love HKD. Right now we are talking with a local city police chief and an Army MP representative to get personal training for the 2 particular groups.

2nd Dan Hap Ki Do: What we do in life echos for an eternity!

I recently took a weekend SD instructional workshop conducted by our police dept. which consisted of personal safety, rape prevention training, kubotan training, and CAST (confined area survival training which is comprehensive defensive training for travel on planes, trains and buses. Many of the officers were trained in Shotokan actually but basically all had basic SD /close quarters training ie. takedowns, pressure points, wrist locks ...