• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Natural Body Awareness and Movement

In popular crowded holiday destinations around the world, people stop to ask directions.

Usually a map is visible and a finger pointing to a spot on it, then the initiated passer by tour guide looks down at the place to give some helpful advice to the lost tourist.

There is a sudden motionless pose while deciphering the map and locating the spot on it, then without warning, the knowledgeable lacation finder, spins and flings his arm out and behind with excitement and conviction, hitting an unsuspecting passer by in the face.

There is for martial artists (something hidden) in this story, that takes place many times during the holiday season, that pertains to the topic heading.

Can you guess what it is?

(There is no one or wrong answer to this question)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Natural body awareness and movement; in other words, be aware of how to move naturally.

Moving naturally is more efficient than being strained and tense or over exaggerating.

Many starting out learning to punch in a way that they assume is the right way to do it.

When a punch or an eye gauge is really nothing more than putting your arm out in from of you.

But what happens is this simple natural movement gets lost in styles and techniques.

Boxers take this natural motion of extending the arm in to the relm of an art.

Kick boxers catch on to this idea also with their feet, as the opponent apparently runs in to his foot.

Or when someone puts a bear hug from behind, the natural reaction is to twist to shrug it off.

There is almost a slap stick appearance to moving naturally and effortlessly.

Jackie Chan plays on this idea alot in his movies.

Some boxers dance a bit or start taunting their opponent while UFC fighters continually talk and put their head out as if giving an easy freebie head shot, this is showboating and it might feel good to do, it isn't natural, due to it is putting on an act!

I'm not suggesting to be a fighting clown but clowning around, can have its benefits of feeling more natural (due to feeling more relaxed) it's not recommend to be this way in real combat situations, as this can have the opposite effect, giving the opponent more focused determination to beat you.

"The Harlem Globetrotters" basketball players used this idea for its entertainment value, they won the support of the crowded by doing it but it was there intent from the onset.

Jackie Chan, with all the stunts he did throughout his career were original, by adding everyday natural movements to his martial arts skills, with a little table top vaulting and tumbling tricks.

Jackie Chan also used every day objects as weapons, this could also be a discussion on Israeli KM.

Moving naturally in a confrontation has stealth benefits as it doesn't seem threatening to the opponent.

Natural movements can seem almost accidental or unintentional in nature or can even seen like a lucky shot.

Using a natural everyday tone of voice with an opponent is another way to put them at ease (helping to lower their guard) shouting with an aggressive voice or attitude is putting their defenses up but staying calm gives you the opportunity to pounce like a Tiger.

I'm hoping that you might have some ideas to add to this topic, if not do you believe these suggestions to be useful for martial artists?

Using a natural everyday tone of voice with an opponent is another way to put them at ease (helping to lower their guard) shouting with an aggressive voice or attitude is putting their defenses up but staying calm gives you the opportunity to pounce like a Tiger.

In the cop world, we call this Verbal Judo, trying to de-escalate a situation if at all possible.

In the cop world, we call this Verbal Judo, trying to de-escalate a situation if at all possible.

Brian and/or Alex,

Is Verbal Judo taught in many, if all, Police Academies, and/or while on training patrol with an experienced training officer??

How's Verbal Judo taught??

If one can't be effective with Verbal Judo, does the cadet fail out of the academy??

Or is Verbal Judo something that one either has or doesn't have??

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think my brother in law is a 10th dan in verbal judo. He was before he became a NYS Trooper. The most even keeled guy I've ever met. Never raises his voice, never gets excited or anxious or nervous. His drill instructors hated him in the Air Force and the State Police Academy because no matter how much they got in his face, he had no change in his demeanor.

If there is a verbal judo, then the art of rhetoric is worth a stripe, don't you think?

Sparring with rhetoric always ends in a question and both opponents needs to do this, until one of them replies with a statement; how do you like this game?

If one of the opponents doesn't answer quick enough than this also looses a point; are you catching on to this idea?

Answers need to be relevant to the questions asked, for example if I ask a question about karate and you answer as if we are talking about food then this looses a point, sounds like fun to you?

If this is too easy then another element of difficulty can be added with penalty words that are (I YOU WE ME US) is this game challenging enough for Verbal Judo Black belts?

Yes the difficulty can be increased, for example a vegetable or fruit must be added to the rhetorical conversation sparring session, example, apples and this verbal judo, could it lead to punch drunk drinking addictions?

Are there any intellectually blessed martialists out there with an inferior influence but quick witted with some spare time to waste, willing to verbally challenge themselves to try to trip or do takedown, tastefully however, to others with the same mother tongue?

Bob, we had a class on Verbal Judo in the academy, and I imagine most academies do something similar. But like anything, you give them the tools, but its up to them to apply them effectively.

Bob, we had a class on Verbal Judo in the academy, and I imagine most academies do something similar. But like anything, you give them the tools, but its up to them to apply them effectively.

Thanks, Brian; I greatly appreciate that info!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

If there is a verbal judo, then the art of rhetoric is worth a stripe, don't you think?

Sparring with rhetoric always ends in a question and both opponents needs to do this, until one of them replies with a statement; how do you like this game?

If one of the opponents doesn't answer quick enough than this also looses a point; are you catching on to this idea?

Answers need to be relevant to the questions asked, for example if I ask a question about karate and you answer as if we are talking about food then this looses a point, sounds like fun to you?

If this is too easy then another element of difficulty can be added with penalty words that are (I YOU WE ME US) is this game challenging enough for Verbal Judo Black belts?

Yes the difficulty can be increased, for example a vegetable or fruit must be added to the rhetorical conversation sparring session, example, apples and this verbal judo, could it lead to punch drunk drinking addictions?

Are there any intellectually blessed martialists out there with an inferior influence but quick witted with some spare time to waste, willing to verbally challenge themselves to try to trip or do takedown, tastefully however, to others with the same mother tongue?

So the "meow" scene in Super Troopers was training not having fun at the motorist's expense.

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Many academies include Verbal Judo and you are expected to pass, but the difficulty level is not the same as for something like firearms, or EVOC. Similar principles can be found in the Mental Health portions of training which more academies are including either as part of the basic course or follow-up training.

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano