• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Testing for 9th Degree

GK Lee with the ATA.

This 17 minutes is not all of the test. I think aspects of it take place over the course of a week or maybe more, and I believe he had to fast for some time as part of it leading up to these physical aspects of it, which is not an easy feat.

The form didn't look physically challenging, but I think there is something to be said for simplicity, and he is not a young man, either.

I've seen several of the Lee brothers when I was in the ATA, and they were all quite skilled and proficient Martial Artists.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The form in that video was really neat (and quite long.) When it comes to self defense and breaking, that looked kinda like what we expect for first and second dahn testings in our school.

I agree with Danielle - higher rank black belts seem to be awarded for teaching and contributions to the art.

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

• 7 months later...
Yes

Shake my head

Aha...Thanks Alan Armstrong and G95champ!! :idea:

G95champ, what were you SMH at?? :P

:D

**Proof is on the floor!!!

A demo for a test.

I do understand that most Dan ranks above 7 or so are mostly honorary but using a demo as an "exam" takes away from the idea of an exam.

With the drummers and dance this was designed as a show to celebrate this mans life achievements which is fine but it was not a challenge that tested his skill, knowledge, reaction, interpurtation, expression and development of understanding .

So I'll SMH lol

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• 2 months later...
Like I mentioned earlier, this is not the full test. This is a small part of what had to be done.

I suppose so because the opening credits read...

"9th Degree Black Belt Testing"

And when they were introducing CM G.K. Lee, the announcer said...

"Testing for 9th Degree Black Belt..."

I do not doubt for even a second that this wasn't a test!! Nonetheless, if it wasn't a formal Testing Cycle, then it might have only been a token representation of some minute segments of the actual formal Testing Cycle.

I noted that many here used the words "most" and "many" when speaking towards Senior Dan's not participating in any formal Testing Cycles for one reason or another; while that's true, it's NOT true within the SKKA...Testing Cycles for ALL ranks are formally conducted up to, and including Hachidan...my Kudan was a formally conducted Testing Cycle...Pass or Fail!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!