• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kihon from kata practice

Wayofaswede

Today during my solo kata training I found it both fun and a good practice to start with a kata - for instance Go No Uke and then taking the very first move from that kata:

Step back right foot -> gedan barai left hand

And using it as an isolated kihon exercise for both sides:

starting position -> right foot back -> gedan left -> back to

starting position -> left foot back -> gedan right etc.

Do you think this is a usual/good way to practice? It felt like really "breaking down" a kata to it's smallest pieces and then studying and adjusting very subtle details in a stance, a block etc. Looking forward to hearing about your experience of this kind of practice/other variations of studying how kihon/kata relates to each other

The path so far: 2 kyu Karate (Shito-ryu), 3 kyu Aikido (Aikikai), 5 kyu Judo, 9 kyu Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

Not a day without a kata

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you think this is a usual/good way to practice?

Sure; it's another way to train the nomenclature of each movement found in any said Kata.

That too, is Oyo Bunkai by tearing down the Kata to even its most basic fundamentalism, and then reconstruct it. But, not in just one way, but in as many possible way through its many discoveries.

Albeit, Oyo, is best practiced with partners, however, it can be practiced alone...by oneself. Oyo, like Bunkai, have levels within them that are found to be in constant construction and discoveries. Oyo can be simple from uncomplicated execution of application(s), to applying convoluted ideologies of Kata, not necessarily related to particular moves within Kata. Oyo utilizes relevance, while Bunkai's desire is in its analysis.

So, the methodology that you're importing in your solo training is fine. Why? Because, for you, it works.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Today during my solo kata training I found it both fun and a good practice to start with a kata - for instance Go No Uke and then taking the very first move from that kata:

Step back right foot -> gedan barai left hand

And using it as an isolated kihon exercise for both sides:

starting position -> right foot back -> gedan left -> back to

starting position -> left foot back -> gedan right etc.

Do you think this is a usual/good way to practice? It felt like really "breaking down" a kata to it's smallest pieces and then studying and adjusting very subtle details in a stance, a block etc. Looking forward to hearing about your experience of this kind of practice/other variations of studying how kihon/kata relates to each other

This is by definition Kihon or a Kihon drill. Many styles incorporate the bare bone techniques, isolate them and practice them to perfect the movement and the body to achieve power in the technique. It's also utilized to observe students and to make corrections.

When talking about breaking down the Kata you are talking about it's Bunkai. the applications or series of applications that the individual techniques make up.

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. In fact a lot of styles utilize this as part of their class instruction.

A style of Karate I took as a child list these as Kihon in motion as apposed to stationary Kihon. You essentially shift in a chosen stance while performing the technique (strike, kick, etc), usually forwards, turn and back to the starting position.

Your building muscle memory through repetition.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

Sure; it's another way to train the nomenclature of each movement found in any said Kata.

That's great to hear :)

That too, is Oyo Bunkai by tearing down the Kata to even its most basic fundamentalism, and then reconstruct it. But, not in just one way, but in as many possible way through its many discoveries

Fascinating - it's the first time I hear of Oyo bunkai

Thanks for answer and description of that kind of practice

Edited by Wayofaswede

The path so far: 2 kyu Karate (Shito-ryu), 3 kyu Aikido (Aikikai), 5 kyu Judo, 9 kyu Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

Not a day without a kata

When talking about breaking down the Kata you are talking about it's Bunkai. the applications or series of applications that the individual techniques make up.

I thought bunkai was application of kata performed together with at least one training partner.

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. In fact a lot of styles utilize this as part of their class instruction.

Thank you for such a reassuring reply

Not a day without a kata

I thought bunkai was application of kata performed together with at least one training partner.

Thank you for such a reassuring reply

Bunkai is breaking down the Kata to it's core applications or series of applications. Kihon is the individual technique extracted from said Kata/Applications for the purpose of perfecting that one technique.

An example of this would be Gedan Barai. Within the applications (Bunkai) this is a throw, balance break, strike, brush, trap, etc. For the purposes of the modern practice of Kihon this is a lower block and is practiced as such. The height, angle from the body and method of delivery are strictly adhered to.

Bunkai is not this way. As we know that any technique could be thrown at any height, angle, and the method of delivery can vary as well.

When you speak of breaking down the Kata I took this as the study of the Kata, which is Bunkai, Bunseki and Oyo.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll