• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A video clip on gedan-barai/uke

Wastelander

Hello, everyone!

This morning, I posted a very short video clip on social media showing first the basic arm motions of gedan-barai/uke (low level sweep/receiver/"block") without any power generation, then gedan-barai/uke done with what we would typically call "reverse hip thrust," and finally the technique powered the usual way. I exaggerated and slowed down the motions to highlight the mechanics, but normally they would be done in a much more fluid manner.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUrn3jjlDPq/

The reason I'm bringing this up here on KF is to get some input, because I was surprised at the number of responses that suggested people couldn't see the purpose of the "reverse" version. I know that it is not the way people are generally taught when they first learn kihon, but I didn't think it was that obscure. Is this something that most people do not practice?

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I believe that you already answered your question...

Is this something that most people do not practice?

No!

You and I, and any practitioner of Okinawa Karate, for the most part, do the reverse generated hip movements because it's so very natural for us...like tying our shoe laces.

I've not seen what you posted on the social media, but, if all of the responses were from MAists, then I suppose that their style of the MA doesn't do, nor do they understand the reverse hip movements, which means they don't and can't appreciate what you and I take for granted.

If the responses were from non MAists, then I suppose that by the very fact that they're non-MAists, they'd not even the slightest notion concerning the nuances of hip movements within the MA.

Btw, very nice video, Noah!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

It depends on whether they study Okinawan or a Japanization of Okinawan Karate.

If one studies an old school art that has not been altered they have not only seen it but are very proficient at it. As Sensei8 said it's second nature.

By the way nice vid Noah. I personally like how you slowed things down so that the movements are readily apparent.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

Those who've not trained in an Okinawa Karate style on a regular basis, I simply explain to them that the reverse hip movement is akin to snapping a wet towel, in which a windup of the hips is released, as one would whenever the very end of that wet towel is released at the target.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!