• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

San Soo King Fu VS Shotokan Karate

Has anyone else cross trained extensively in these arts? I have and I'm interested in what other have to say.

I love both arts but prefer Shotokan. I'm out right now by as soon as I get home I'll break down the differences and what I think of each art.

Anyone else have some insight to share?

Currently working and living in China.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ok I train in and love both arts but feel Shotokan is superior for some simple reasons..

1. Footwork: San Soo doesn't have an intricate movement system that applies to sparring/resisting opponent. Okinawan Karate stylists are known for their footwork being the best in MMA and other competitions. Look at Lyoto Machida.

2. Sparring: San Soo doesn't spar. Sparring leads to better combinations and reaction times. You learn how to use your techniques and footwork. It's essential.

3. Hard training: in my experience Shotokan training is much tougher and higher impact.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Currently working and living in China.

• 4 months later...

Fatal Rose, sorry I can't contribute any to your post as I have no knowledge of San Soo but, good to have you on KF. Why don't you come in to the introductions thread to introduce yourself to the others in the forum and maybe tell us a bit about San Soo and the rest of your MAs background?

Mo.

Be water, my friend.