• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My daughter.

LLLEARNER

Thanks a bunch guys

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

She got her second stripe.

She was so happy to have earned it. She has done a good job of practicing and keeping the goal in front of her.

Funny thing after class tonight. While we were putting on our boots and coats, Sensei was talking with a newer student. He mentioned that he knows all the teachers and checks with them regularly. His eyes got big. My daughter then asked if he knew her teachers.

He said he does.

Sensei's wife is a teacher and has been for a long time.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Last night in class my daughter (5 years old) did her best taikyoku shodan. She did it all by herself with everyone watching. She also did the other skills required. According to Sensei she should earn her 2nd stripe next week at the grading.

Congrats to your daughter. It's awesome to see our kids follow in our foot steps and do well at something we love. Way to inspire her. You should be very proud. I know the feeling and nothing can describe the pride felt.

I'm happy for you and your daughter.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

• 2 weeks later...

Being involved in a family program is rewarding in so many areas. Your daughter is going to be so far ahead of her classmates at school in her ability to concentrate, just another side benefit of martial arts training. Watching the kids grow and develop self confidence was one of the most rewarding things for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this seems quick after her earning the second stripe, but we have been studying Karate for over a year now. My daughter earned her yellow belt last night. She was not ready for the last testing cycle last August, but was probably ready for the second stripe in January. It was more of a late second stripe than early yellow belt.

She was tested hard, too.

After warm-ups Sensei had her alone on the floor, with everyone watching, for her Kata. She performed it 2 times. She actually did not rush and get sloppy. She made sure to hit her stances before transitioning to the next. Then we all did a tough drilling round, which worked kicks, stances, and punches. My legs are still shakey. After that, she was again alone on the floor to demonstrate her skills. Sensei faced her with different people for different skills. She demonstrated, side mount, side hold, smother hold, scarf hold mounted hold, monkey hold, o soto geri, o gami dori, uchi mawashi dori, soto mawashi dori, and did 2 rounds of grappling. Then we were all back to the floor for a round of kata. She got to sit this out, as she had completed her kata. Then we all sparred. 4 rounds. 2 of them against 3 against 1 opponent, and 1 against 2 opponents (alternating attackers and defender). After this, She was presented with her yellow belt in front of the class.

I was so proud. She did all she was asked, immediately and with focus with minimal thought and only a couple slight positioning errors. She showed not fear or anxiety about being alone on the floor. I knew the test was coming, but I did not let her know. She later said she was biting the inside of her lip to keep from smiling when she got her belt. She wanted to remain serious. When she got home she had to immediately call one of her grandmothers to tell her, then show her the belt this morning.

I can see her starting to understand long-term goals. She is now talking about working toward her blue belt.

Hard dedicated work does pay off in time!! Congrats on your daughter earning her yellow belt; one of many that are still to come!!

:bowofrespect:

**Proof is on the floor!!!