• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Moving schools / dojo

This time last year I made the choice to train at Karate as I'd been approached by a local club. Hadn't trained since I was a small person and without looking at any other local clubs I thought I'd give it a go.

Over a year, I've come to believe I'm not in the right club for me. I don't disrespect anything the club does, or any Sensei or Sempai, I just don't think it's the kind of club I align with. I looked around at a few options, I'm lucky enough to have 4 other clubs in my local area and chose to engage the one that looked most professional.

So I'm starting over! 'New' club Sensei and I have had numerous discussions and I like the approach he has. From my humble perspective, the club seems better managed, the other students seem like they have similar values to me (and the age varies from late teen to "I'm not comfortable asking") and overall I am impressed by the quality of the operation.

I've been told I'll get a grade suitable for my ability, but to be honest I'm learning all new Kata (Wado) so I'm white until proven otherwise!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Train hard and train well at the new dojo. Sounds to me that you've already visited the dojo as well as the CI and the like, and that you believe that it's a perfect fit for you. Good luck!!

Nothing wrong with white belt because it's the most important belt of them all, imho!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Its good that you've explored and found a club that fits your needs. A lot of instructors lose sight of the fact that the journey belongs to the student, and not to them. Enjoy your new training environment!