• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Preventing that ground fight.

Personnally, at my very early level of Aikido, I would rather someone actually grab me, from a grab I could much easier put on a Nikkyo, Sankyo or Kote Gashi than from strikes. I was just wondering how BJJ take downs actually work? Where do they grab to facilitate the take down? (Dont mean to pick on BJJ, but they do sort of have the monopoly on ground work).

Take Care.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO a large percentage of fights go to to the ground due to the poor execution of stand up techniques rather than the actions taken by your attacker.
I tend to agree. Simple poor balance and people colliding.

I believe that Rorion uses the "90% of all fights end up on the ground" as a marketing ploy and it really isn't substantiated with any concrete evidence.
He cited a police study on officers... who are trained to take arrests to the ground.

Thai_Kick can you explain what a "sprawl" is?
It's a counter to a shoot. The short answer is you put your legs behind you so that your balance is very forward and your legs are out of reach.

KickChick, what ya say is so very true, with powerful stand up techniques and solid stances, Grapplers would have a really tough time.
If your opponent is trained to take you to the ground, you better be experienced at stopping him.

stance! i good deep stance is what you need. it will help a heck of alot.
I don't think I can agree that, in general, having a deeper stance helps. Certainly legs spread apart seems to make takedowns easier.

then you need to keep distance, they cant take you down if they are far away, so good fast kicks and if you need punches.
Kicking range is about 5 feet. That can be covered in a single step. You start your kick, before you can plant your foot, they have impacted you body-on-body. I don't think this is practical advice against someone trying to take you down.

if they are heavyer you'll want to get out of the way, a fast side step with something like a knife hand to the back of there neck will do. just as long as they are goin to get back up its ok.
IME this does not work.

Learning how to grapple is the best way to avoid a fight going to the ground.
Agree. IIRC, the MMA circuit is seeing a good number of knockouts by strikers with enough grappling experience to stay up.

Traditional Wing Chun or Wing Tsun or whatever you want to call it, does NOT have anti-grappling techniques, At least, not in the way you see it in magazine ads for the videos they sell.

Those techniques were made up By Emin's Sifu Keith Kernspecht who was a Wrestler before start Wing Chun. And Emin itself claims to have studied some kind of Turkish Freestyle Wrestling.

So all those techniques are from Wrestling that have been changed an adapted to look like Wing Chun.

I'm not saying its not effective, but i can't say it Is either..

just my opinion.