• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Preventing that ground fight.

Traditional Wing Chun or Wing Tsun or whatever you want to call it, does NOT have anti-grappling techniques, At least, not in the way you see it in magazine ads for the videos they sell.

From what I recall (and I may be wrong here) traditional Wing Chun has elements of Chin Na included which would cover some grappling.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it does cover a small area of Chin Na. But surely using techniques that the average WT practioner is not so good at (Grappling, as WC is a MEGA Striking style) would be a bad thing. Cant chain punchs be effective at taking down grapplers?

Take Care.

A grappler as soon as feels a punch, its going to Grab,... so I don't really advice to go and try to do chain punches straight line against a grappler. Unless you are Vitor Belfot lol

What really works against grappler is learn how to grappler to know how are they going to attack you, and do a game plan.

Same with the strikers, grapplers also need to know how a striker thinks,

Know your oponent...

• 2 weeks later...
to prevent fightinh in floor donot use your foot when attacking opponent. use only your hands and don't stay in a place. bjj teaches people to bring someone down when they are not in motion. whirlwind strike is a good technique to ese against a bjj :up:

John R

DO NOT KICK, keep ready to sprawl and juss shoot off punch, be careful with the sprawl though, if they grab ur arm u'll prolly get an arm drag throw or somfin. Its hard to not get taken down, specially if ur tall and lanky. I'm a small guy and agree with kickchick when she said that smaller guys will wanna take it to the ground...its juss safer that way fer us, lol. umm...i dun think bjj has as many takedowns as sambo but we may body lock slam you and stuff...we may grab several places, it may be hard to writs lock us if we shoot fer the legs but perhaps a gi throw might give you the chance to wrist lock...

"razor elbows, killer knees, iron fists and monster kicks"

"Nice punch!!!, now let's see how well you punch with a broken arm"

• 2 weeks later...
bjj has great , anti,takedowns and the sprawl isn't always gonna cut, it ,also bjj has great anti-takedown counters, the best way to learn some takedown counters is to join in on a few classes of bjj and learn them, and practice sparring against other styles, this will greatly improuve your all round skills

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

and most people don't even know how to swim"

Well I don't really see the logic in taking someone down to the ground. At least not the BJJ way, BJJ is tailor made for those so called "No holds Barred" fights, but if you were in a real fight on the ground and every weapon was at your disposal those grappling techniques wouldn't be so affective. its a no holds barred fight, but some strikes aren't allowed.

In short, if two fighters were allowed to fight with absolutely nothing held back, the "striker" would have a much better chance of winning. Now in fights like the UFC its for grapplers. You gotta be nuts to use these grappling techniques out in the real world. Especially since the attackers don't attack you unless they have an advantage, such as a weapon, more people, surprise, size, ect..

Really, grapplers are looking so good because they are coming up against these inferior styles in a format that's tailor made for them. Im not saying grappling sux, I'm just saying, with all things being equal they wouldn't enjoy such a high rate of sucess.

I own you.

magicchiongson tell me a better style than bjj , for grappling, and yes it does deal with weapons, check out street self defense by royce and charles gracie,

ALL OF YOU THINK BJJ IS A SPORT, ITS NOT!! THATS ONLY ONE SIDE OF IT, FIND A SCHOOL THAT TEACHES BJJ SELF DEFENSE THAN MAKE YOUR COMMENTS, AND IS A REAL FIGHT NOT , NO HOLDS BARRED, plus bjj was created over 75 years ago, when they didn't have no rules competiotions , so how bout u shut your mouth

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

and most people don't even know how to swim"