• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Preventing that ground fight.

I was pondering earlier, how you would prevent the fight going to the ground in a prolonged engagment. I know that BJJ et la, is very popular at the moment, also the idea of "anti grappling" is'nt. So how would you stop the fight going down to the ground?

Take Care/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would use defensive grappling techniques like a sprawl to counter the grapplers "shoot" also utilize my Muay Thai in a stand up clinch, by using elbows, knees, head butts and low line kicks and of coarse keeping distance.

Limits Are Not Accepted. They Are Elbowed, Kicked And Punched.

IMO a large percentage of fights go to to the ground due to the poor execution of stand up techniques rather than the actions taken by your attacker. Let's put it this way 100% of altercations start standing up so shouldn't we spend most of our training here?

I believe that Rorion uses the "90% of all fights end up on the ground" as a marketing ploy and it really isn't substantiated with any concrete evidence.

If you do find yourself on the ground (and have no grappling exp.) you should be able to strike effectively and throw your attacker off you using the concepts of leverage (the ground), fulcrum and momentum. The goal when on the ground is not simply to get up but to attack sufficiently to have the time, distance and ability to get back up.... or run!

The best way to prevent ground fights? Don't fight with anyone shorter than yourself! People shorter than you tend to want to take it to the ground. :roll:

stance! i good deep stance is what you need. it will help a heck of alot. then you need to keep distance, they cant take you down if they are far away, so good fast kicks and if you need punches.

if there coming from a charge there are things you can do: firstly if they are lighter to abit heavyer then you, you can take them, all you need is a good stance and you can hopfully fight them from putting you on the ground. if they are heavyer you'll want to get out of the way, a fast side step with something like a knife hand to the back of there neck will do. just as long as they are goin to get back up its ok.

hope this helps, i think i went off on one about that defence bit there :) hope its helpful anyway.

Knock them out with the first strike....

If it becomes a "fight" (exchanging techniques) then you probably will end up on the ground, and your years of training has failed you. A REAL fight is too dynamic to predict, that's why it must end within 3 strikes.

Evin Hunt / 4th Dan

Midwest Karate-Jitsu

https://www.kyushojitsu.com

I am not talking about a real fight. Most of us fully appreciate the fight dynamic, and prediction is nearly impossable. we are talking about skilled fighters from different systems and how you would deal with it. Just because I have fallen, does not mean my training has failed me. ;)

Take CAre.

Ps, welcome to the forum.

Learning how to grapple is the best way to avoid a fight going to the ground.

Keeping the distance is the most important thing. Once a grappler is in close and can grab you, you'll be going to the ground. Learning how to sprawl to avoid shoots will help you as well.

Thanks for the "welcome"! :)

"If your enemy expects you to attack west, then attack east..." a common philosophy of not playing the opponents game. Illusions of skill can create openings as the opponent prepares to defend against your attack. If he is skilled on the ground, don't groundfight him... if he is a kicker, move in close... etc.. etc... Martial arts were not designed to be a prolonged engagement, but I understand your point... becuase mistakes do happen, and you usually do end up where you do not expect it.

Great topic, by the way! 8)

Evin Hunt / 4th Dan

Midwest Karate-Jitsu

https://www.kyushojitsu.com