• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you think ?

Hi folks!

Back to the psychology again, sorry... There's a theory out there known at the "Theory of Planned Behaviour". It's simple though - all the best theories are. You usually do something because you intend to. And you do this because:

(1) You think you should (it's a good thing)

(2) You think other people think it's a good thing.

(3) Because you think you're able to.

After a while, habit kicks in and you go training because that's what you do, that's who you are. If you don't go, you're not you. After all, I religiously buy a newspaper every morning. Force of habit. Sometimes, I even get to read it during the day(!)

As for some people giving up, not going (etc) - that's probably down to (3) above. Once you stop going to training, you STOP. Completely. It could be for any reason. Another example, I used to go to Circuit Training twice a week for years. Then I damaged my ankle one time and decided to rest it for a week or three before going back. Once it had healed, I found myself making excuses about why I couldn't go. It took a LOT of effort to get back to that Sports Centre. I still desperately try to keep up with my Aikido too but I think I'll have to wait - unless the Thesis writes itself. :(

Keeping on about the power of positive thought, do you all know that even the most clinically depressed people have one 'good' thought for every 'unhappy' one? It turns out that most of us think three good thoughts for every two bad/unhappy ones. It goes to show that it's vitally important for all of us to stay in credit. I wouldn't go quite as far as Kenpo123 though as we're all human. We all have doubts. If we know they're there, we can challenge them - and we can learn. It's the old philosophy, isn't it? - the willow bends in the wind while the oak tree breaks.

The best thing about being an adult is that you can run with scissors(!)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I still desperately try to keep up with my Aikido too but I think I'll have to wait - unless the Thesis writes itself. :(

:lol:

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Everything can be OK as ling as you love what you do. I tend to believe in hedonism :) And try to find pleasure in what I do. As we already discussed in another thread, MA teaches us to never say "I can't". And this affects us in a positive way. Conquering your fears doing thing you never thought you'd be able to do ... what a sweet feeling :D :D :D

Freestyler the questions you raise and the answers to them are kind of what martial arts students mean when they talk about the vague area of mental toughness.

I think it would be very interesting, and appropriate, to be able to combine these two threads.

I agree Sai this is the part about selling out I was talking about in the other section.

My thinking was always when time got hardest I saw the belt I was weraring. If I was a low belt I wanted to show everyone else I could do it. If I was a high belt I felt I had to show the others it could be done.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Caffeine King, you working for a doctorate in pyschology ? I'm thinking of doing that next year, along with computer science.

Awaken the giant within focuses on 'nero associations'.. I also agree that habits make our characters! I come online out of habit, even though I find it boring. :P

Freestyler,

I think I envy you in that I have never really come across one book that has changed the way that I think about life in general. I wonder whether psychologists are too cynical about these things???

Yep, I'm in the final year of my PhD. Well, I say that. I'm in the third year of my PhD but let's face it, no-one ever finishes these things on time. I'm in my little office right now. Am I working? Nope. :)

Interesting stuff though, linking psychology with computer science. Cognitive science is growing fast. I think the new big thing is self-teaching neural nets. Not my area (at all!) but artifical intelligence has everything to gain from thinking massively in parallel like us humans. I wish you luck.

G95champ - you raise an interesting point. Gradings are very much more of a Western idea, aren't they? Individual status/position is perhaps too important in our society but I'm really glad to see that they can be used in such positive fashion. A great attitude there.

As for you Kensai, thanks very much. I most certainly agree about the choice of style, unsurprisingly... :P

The best thing about being an adult is that you can run with scissors(!)