• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you think ?

I realise this is probably in the wrong section, but I'd like to hear everyone's input, which is why I chose this section, since I assume it is the most visited sub-forum.

I have recently picked up Awaken the giant within by Anthony Robbins and he talks about copying success, and finding role models to imitate through how they think, etc. So far, I have found the book to be very good, with definite changes already, even though I'm not finished reading it. But, I want to know how you guys think. Being martial artists, I find that most of you are more ambitous and mentally tough than the population in general. I think the physical conditioning we endure is a result of our mental capabilities, which we build up, so after some time in the arts, we are quite tough.

So, how do you think:

When you don't 'feel' like training, 'cause you're too tired, it's too hot, too cold, you couldn't be bothered.

When you can't physically go on anymore ?

When you've been training harder and more consistently than someone for them to still be advancing more quickly than you, or dominating you in sparring ?

When you receive negative energy, or disrespect ?

When you're going over something you're sure you already know since you've done it a million times before ?

When you start to doubt yourself and whether you can achieve something in particular ?

Please don't be limited to this list, I want to know how you feel about anything and everything, from martial arts, to your life outside the dojo.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The body is your "Hardware" and your thoughts and feelings are your "Software". How you "Program" yourself daily will determine your inner srtength, ability to endure, that ability to always keep "One-foot-in-front-of-the other" no matter what obstacles lie before you.

I am a strong believer in "Positive Self Talk" and that a person can't have the luxury of a negative thought or feeling.

I also find beneficial to find time for yourself daily to go through some form of relaxation techniques, mediation, self hypnosis to relax and reinforce positive self talk and assess your goals, where you are in life, where do you want to be ect. It's important to stay focused on that which is important to you.

Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way

Kenpo - Brown

TKD - Advanced Green

I can tell you I went to training NO MATTER WHAT. The only time I missed was when I've changed the radio station I worked in and HAD to be present one evening so all the others will know me. I guess not being there was out of question. :D

I went to classes everytime, even if I felt sick, even if it was too hot or too cold, if it was raining or snowing ... How could I do this? It's simple. I love it. It never occured to me that I could skip a session, I always looked at those hours with pleasure and enjoyed it. It's simple. You just put it into your daily routine and that's all :)

I think others here might say even more about this thread ... Let's wait for them :karate:

All martial arts involve a combination of physical skills, mental focus. While a certain amount of anxiety can be motivating and a positive force, ...self-doubt, defeatism, folding under pressure, and choking are negative qualities many martial artists possess ...which they should call attention to and correct.

For example, a young man who I once trained with (a black belt in TKD) went on to college Columbia University (I believe for neuro surgery) was always a "perfectionist" in his training and this carried over to his personal life and his college studies also.

Unfortunately he messed up his shoulder in an accident which curtailed his sparring bouts and spinning kicks and entering future tournaments but he continued to train at the university in the TKD club doing the best he could (and let me say he was awesome). He couldn't maintain his straight A's in college as he did in high school.

I have fond memories of him because he always encouraged me when I felt I wasn't achieving my own personal best.

Well, this young man committed suicide several days before his 21st birthday. Many have said that he just couldn't "deal" with trying to be the best at everything (TKD and schooling and social activities) ....

Although I do agree very much with Kenpo123 ... somethimes it is best to accept the things you cannot change ...while you do not want to stop improving and reaching your goals, you should have expectations that are in conformity with your conditioning, skills, and experience.

Explosive anger, paranoia, depression, avoidance behavior, obsessive compulsiveness, etc. are common types of behavior found in sports-related training.... which can also negatively affect you in and out of the dojo.

I totally agree, ramymensa. I am the same way. Martial arts, to me, is a way of life. If I don't go to class or miss a class (usually because of work), I feel "weird." It's hard to explain.

Freestyler, you were saying something about negative energy. If you don't pay any mind to it, it'll pass. Like Kenpo123 said, keep thinking positive. It's hard to do at times, but don't let negative feelings (people, words, ect) bring you down.

Kickchick, I do have to say that I am a perfectionist when it comes to technique, in MA that is. I am really big on technique. I think that came from my TSD instructor. He would always drill us on technique. But yet, if someone notices that something needs improvement and shows me, I don't get upset. I suck up the advice like a sponge. But in daily life, I'm pretty laid back. I try to do well in what ever I do, but if I don't, that's ok, too. I'll try again.

Laurie F

Your mind can overcome any physical limitations almost all the time. Keeping your mind clear of negative energy is always a plus. Think possitive and don't get discouraged over anyone rising over top of you. I told one student who failed a rank test that he would probably learn more by failing and going back for more than by just getting it given to him. Never quit, you can rest, but never quit.

Thanks for the complament too....I like to hear someone say that martial artist tend to be stronger at least mentally than the general puplic. I agree on that (not all cases but most). It comes with the discipline I think but who knows. It was just nice to hear the respect. Something I hold high is respect. That is one thing that angers me more than it should. When people disrespect me....sometimes i tend to not be so level headed then, but the MA have taught me to not lash out on beat the crap out of anyone for not respecting me. I tell people all the time they have the right not to like me but don't disrespect me. If that makes sense. It does to me.

My positive thinking works most of the time but my negative thinking works all of the time. The lesson is that positive thinking breeds and fosters the chances for positive results more than negative thinking does. You reap what you sow.

It's the same with worrying. Most of the things that people worry about never come true. Why waste your time and your mind? That's why I like MA training. It keeps me in the present. Check out my signature. It says a lot about how our minds keep us from living up to our full potential.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

those are some interesting questions which you posed freestyler

i admit i am one of those people who sometimes just dont go to class

and if you read my other post about being three months delayed then i guess u know the punishment i had to pay.

there were times where the weather was just so bad or wether i was too tired or just simply couldnt be bothered

but i took a new view, just go and train at a regular basis, just dont question why you go, what you will get out if it and whether you bothered or not, JUST GO, its as simple as that, if you cant find a reason why u should go, the reason will come back to you, dont question yourself - just train, simple really.

Brown Sash Hsing I/Lau Gar Kung Fu

Brown Belt San Shou

17 yr old

http://www.selfdefencehelp.co.uk