• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

bad things about being a martial artist

i dont tell anyone, but some people eventually find out. first they ask what belt level. sometimes they ask me to show moves(i never do). some people, after finding out, look at me like i was really strange....

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

People acting like your rank is a personal criticism of their own fighting abilities (I rarely mention martial arts to non-friends). "What, does that make you better than me?" Bah.

Plus the almost complete lack of "quality control" in what we do. We never know if some of what we're taught is genuine because some things simply can't (or shouldn't) be tested. There are no "dojo police", and of course there shouldn't be, because different people want different things from their training. But there are a lot of awful schools out there giving people false confidence, and we just have to do our own research to protect ourselves. But I guess that isn't that different from other areas of life where money is involved. There's always someone trying to cheat you somewhere (intentionally or no).

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

in response to Molson Styles

you know people are always saying that its not good to participate in full contact sports due to injury you will get and so on. now i am not denying that you will get injured. ive been injured before many a time and so on but the thing that keeps me healthy and kicking today is the fact that i give myself time to heal after. as long as u give yourself time to heal you will avoid permanent damage.

I definitely had injuries from MA, but unknown makes a good point. I gave myself time to heal. I didn't take a bunch of time off from training (I took a few days), I just modified the way I trained for a while :) I can't stay away from training more than a week .... EEEEEKKKKK just the thought scares me! LOL

Laurie F

I definitely had injuries from MA, but unknown makes a good point. I gave myself time to heal. I didn't take a bunch of time off from training (I took a few days), I just modified the way I trained for a while I can't stay away from training more than a week .... EEEEEKKKKK just the thought scares me! LOL

I can feel your pain, Im the same way. It just takes longer to heal now.

It drives me crazy to train and not be able to perform at 100% but its better than sitting in front of the TV. :karate:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

the problem is that non-martial artists dont understand the difference between reasonable force and excessive force -

ive been in alot of trouble in past incidents where non-martials thought i was too excessive when defending myself

Brown Sash Hsing I/Lau Gar Kung Fu

Brown Belt San Shou

17 yr old

http://www.selfdefencehelp.co.uk

Bad thing about being a MA... certain people just want to fight you :-? Or when they critisize(sp) you, Oh it takes time for you to kick, by then i'll already have hit you in the face ten times. What if I punch? Oh ummmm i'll(insert stupidest thing you can possibly do in a combat situation), or it doesn't matter if you know how to kickbox i'll still win because im (insert word here)

Thomas

I get kids all the time at school. (8th grade boys) who want to fight, well play arround. They will walk up to my put their hands up and say come on Mr. Justice you are not so bad with that karate stuff. Im like just set down I have class at 6pm. I know they do that to a lot of male teachers its just the age but I think because most of them kow I teach karate they pick on me more. LOL....

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

The one thing that really gets me mad about being a martial artist is when I tell people I train in MA and they shout "HIYA" and perform a hand chop or start singing "Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting..." or they may even attempt a kick. :x

I end up explaining to them I train Muay Thai, then I get a whole new amount of respect from them :o , somtimes they even ask for lessons from me.

Limits Are Not Accepted. They Are Elbowed, Kicked And Punched.