• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Way of a Swede (from 8 kyu to...)

Wayofaswede

Passed the test for green belt, 5 kyu yesterday! :karate: The road goes ever on...

Osu! :bowofrespect:

The path so far: 2 kyu Karate (Shito-ryu), 3 kyu Aikido (Aikikai), 5 kyu Judo, 9 kyu Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

Not a day without a kata

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Passed the test for green belt, 5 kyu yesterday! :karate: The road goes ever on...

Osu! :bowofrespect:

Congrats, Wayofaswede; way to go!! You're half way there to Shodan; hopefully you'll continue training beyond Shodan, if not, that's cool too.

Train hard, train well!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats, Wayofaswede; way to go!! You're half way there to Shodan; hopefully you'll continue training beyond Shodan, if not, that's cool too.

Train hard, train well!!

:)

Thank you very much, hadn't thought of it that way - shodan seems such a huge mountain climb away.

My first big goal on my Karate journey is to one day reach 3 kyu - the same as in Aikido. The goal after that is to attain 2 kyu - that is, the highest rank in any Budo art of the four I've trained. :)

Speaking of grades, I did some backtracking and realized that my two passed tests in Judo would mean that I have 5 kyu in Judo (since the first after white is 6 kyu)

Edited by Wayofaswede

The path so far: 2 kyu Karate (Shito-ryu), 3 kyu Aikido (Aikikai), 5 kyu Judo, 9 kyu Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

Not a day without a kata

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished a solo training session focusing on strength, kihon and kata. Club training ended for the summer a couple of weeks ago, but I keep doing at least a kata and some kihon every day.

Since it's vacation I have had time to start going through Jesse Enkamp's "Karate by Jesse" videos on YT. Watching these and katas performed by the masters etc truly encourages me to train more and harder.

Compared to last summer, Karate has become a much more essential part of my everyday life - in a very positive way. If possible I now prefer starting and ending the day with a short meditation and some blocks. I also practice stances a lot, for instance while brushing teeth etc 😊

Hope you all have a great summer and that you can find time and feel a passion for training. Osu!

:bowofrespect:

Edited by Wayofaswede

Not a day without a kata

Hi Swede, that's cool! I feel I'm at a similar place in my journey... karate has really become a sort of way of life for me. We will also be starting our summer vacation soon but I plan on continuing on myself. I make a point to exercise every day, even if it's just going for a walk, and behind that I like to do something karate-oriented, even if it's just a stretch. And oftentimes it's more substantial like kata and blocks, punches, etc. And for me it's very meditative, too. Something about getting the mind, body and spirit all working properly. I don't feel totally right without it.

Thanks for the update and good luck on your journey. Enjoy the summer. Osu! :karate:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Our club dojo unfortunately won't open until September, meanwhile I keep doing daily katas (primarily focusing on Go ho no uke and Pinan Nidan) and 3-4 times a week I do a more strength (crunches and push-ups), kihon and kata focused session. Usually going through all katas I've been taught so far, from Go ho no uke to Pinan Sandan. I have started to wear the belt as I train, trying to loosen it up some and to get a more "sincere" feel trying to stand in Zenkutsu dachi without stepping on one of my two toddlers. My 3-year old actually likes to join in from time to time, imitating moves and sounds the best she can :D

Hope your training goes the way you wish it to. Osu!

:bowofrespect:

Edited by Wayofaswede

Not a day without a kata

As I'm always reminding you of...Train hard and train well!! Even though they're closed for now!! You got this!!!!!!

:D

**Proof is on the floor!!!