• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Transition to Open Guard

Regardless of which open guard a jiu jitsu player prefers, they must be able to make a clean transition from a closed guard position. All to often we see players rely on a scramble to get here, or make the motion inefficient. Here, we talk about one of the ways we transition.

Note that the principles and movements used in this sequence easily transfer to about any specific transition that one prefers.

Check out the detail here:

What other transitions does everyone utilize? Can you compare and contrast the fundamental movements used in this example and the ones you prefer?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I like how you seem to stay "connected" the whole time, using your body position to keep distance, but still retain that contact with the opponent.

Regardless of which open guard a jiu jitsu player prefers, they must be able to make a clean transition from a closed guard position. All to often we see players rely on a scramble to get here, or make the motion inefficient. Here, we talk about one of the ways we transition.

Note that the principles and movements used in this sequence easily transfer to about any specific transition that one prefers.

Check out the detail here:

What other transitions does everyone utilize? Can you compare and contrast the fundamental movements used in this example and the ones you prefer?

Depending on what my opponent does:

if he tries a standing guard pass, I let him stand and get my left leg DeLaRiva.

If he continues to kneel, I try to hip out to get my left leg lasso grip on same side arm, or work on right leg spider on same side arm.