• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Too much bunkai?

catlike

What kills me is when discussions about Kata and/or Bunkai turn into a "You're wrong!!" accusation, even when those words aren't exactly spoken. If that's the concrete base of any discussion surrounding Kata/Bunkai, then we might as well discard the entire Oyo aspect, as well as Kihon Bunkai, Kakushi Bunkai, Henka Bunkai, and Dento Bunkai; in short, Bunkai in itself.

How can I express myself honestly in Kata/Bunkai if my way is considered wrong?? Self expression, to my understanding, is also, Karate-do!! Shouldn't only I be the one to ascertain as to the Bunkai is or isn't effective??

Sure enough, we follow the traditional Bunkai as it's been given to us through our Sensei, nonetheless, if I don't seek my own Bunkai, then what good am I, if at all?!

:)

Sensei8,

I believe you have stumped me as I have never heard the term Dento Bunkai. It may be a difference of terminology (Japanese to Hogan) but would you be so kind as to explain to me the definition of this type of Bunkai? I understand it is a stage, I just do not understand what it represents.

Although we do not use this terminology I know the terminology for Kihon Bunkai, Kakushi Bunkai, and Henka Bunkai, but have never even heard the term Dento.

Hate to show my ignorance but this one has stumped me and could not find anything on Google search to help enlighten me. The closest thing I got to a description is that Den means traditional.

In the bold type above, MatsuShinshii, you've pretty much answered your own question.

Without getting way to deep in describing Dento, I'll simply say, Dento is a more advanced level of Bunkai. This stage of Bunkai, within Shindokan, is reserved for the more advanced student, and as it being assigned, the student naturally executes with much greater ease, especially in movements and the like. From this stage, traditional applications are taught!! There are so many different techniques, but one cannot only study the traditional or more formal applications where everyone does the same thing, but to also study the Oyo; they both, or course, compliment each other.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Sensei8. I appreciate the explanation.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

• 2 months later...

We practice mostly Kata in an hour and a half class schedule. Prearranged stuff for 15 minutes or so and the rest drills. Bunkai for us usually isn't done until after ni-dan. This is the way I was taught but I see both practices as necessary. Bunkai as I was told becomes more self evident to the individual after getting kata movements fluid. But it is hard to do a kata right if you cannot see the application clearly. I really would say it's an individuals type of learning. But I have just started teaching students as my own this year so I have a great deal yet to learn about teaching. heh training 25 years and still so much to learn from the yellow belts.

Chibana Style Shorin Ryu

John Kleck Student Of Robert Giles And Earnest Estrada Sensei.