• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The over 40 club

SaiFightsMS

Yep.. 42 and life is going along just fine.

The youngest kid is 17 (I’m amazed he made it that far with out his mum throttling him) and the oldest is 23.

They say life starts at 40; it’s a shame that it’s taken me 40 odd years to find peace of mind and to realise that the most valuable thing in life isn’t money, possessions and social standing, its health, family and true friends.

Heres to another 40 years…. Bring em on. I’m up to the challenge…

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so flexibiltiy seems to be something we have to work harder to maintain over 40. How about strenght? Do you find you are not as strong as you were 10 years ago or that when you hit the weights you cannot handle as many sets as you could then?

:D I'm lovin' this thread...

I would have to say for me my "strength" has definitely increased. I was a pretty scrawny weakling as a teen and into my 20's ... in my 30's, after having children, my strength began to increase. I did take several morning strength training/fitness classes to get my body back to normal. My first born was 10 pounds when he was born so by 2 years old it was like a "weight training" routine carrying him on a daily basis. By then I had another almost 9 pound baby so... I developed upper body strength quickly (never mind hips like an amazon woman!! :) )

At 32 I started TKD and was able to focus and direct that strength. I started to actively train my body to develop the lower body strength which I seemed to be lacking and to work on my flexibility. Since women generally have more lower body strength than men, it was easy for me to achieve the lower body strength required for TKD kicks by training consistently.

So at this age what has decreased? The ability to bounce back after an injury and I bruise more. But most importantly my speed has decreased.

That is next on my training agenda :wink: .

I have always enjoyed strength training and have done it off and on most of my life. I can still lift at 51 what I was lifting at 31 but my goals for strength training have changed. I injure more quickly and my recovery is slower at the elevated weights at this stage in my life, nor, am I trying to impress anyone with what I'm lifting anymore. I'm finding that warming up slowly, stretching (critical ) and keeping hydrated and watching my body fuel play a more critical role. A person loses approx. 5-7 pounds of muscle tissue about every 10 years and a person needs to have a method of replenishing new muscle tissue for overall fitness and health. Strength Training for me is remaining a part of my life style choice. :karate: I'm enjoying the input in this thread and look forward to others commments.

Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way

Kenpo - Brown

TKD - Advanced Green

Well I am in better shape these days than I have been most of my life. Yes as kid I was slimmer (almost skin and bones) but I now have some muscle on my entire body. Flexibility, well I don't know. I know It could be better right now, but I didn't do much that needed it as a kid from what I can recall.

I don't really back off from the others in my class that tend to be younger than I in training, so no differences there.

OK maybe my body feels a bit more beat up then some of the younger kids for a few more days after an intense class. :-)

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

• 3 weeks later...

45 here.

Still winning tournaments at 42.

I could still do it now, but I am concentrating on the women in my life. I spent too many weekends traveling playing boy's games.

Now I just practice. Practice. Practice...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Welcome to the club ... taebot!

... Hey do us a favor and stop by Introductions forum and introduce yourself further. (I have enjoyed reading your posts today and have gotten somewhat of an idea of what type of martial artist you are besides knowing that you're a fellow TKD'ist :) )

I've been on another rough and tumble board for the past three years which gave me time to learn the ropes, pick up some do's and dont's, and develop a posting style.

I think the best introductions are well thought-out posts so that you don't get into the credentialing debate and instead talk about ideas.

I also think it's best to keep a low-profile on personal information because some people cannot, will not conceed an argument and can and will make things very personal. I have seen stunts pulled that just amaze me at how low people are willing to go to be either correct or get you to shut up.

I'm here to have fun and pick up the social slack that I miss when I gave up the chase of the holy plastic trophy :D ...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Welcome taebot to KF and the 40's club, for the most part people posting at KF are courteous and informative. I can understand and respect your need for anonymity.

Its not who you are or what rank you hold that counts on these forums, it's the sharing of knowledge taken from your life experiences and martial arts expertise that counts.

Toleration, understanding and a willingness to keep an open mind are the keys to these forums. Contribute and enjoy.

Respectfully,

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do