SaiFightsMS

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another member of the club, I turn 44 in three weeks and although I have been out of MA for about three years, I'm dying to get back into it. My wife purchased a 'BOB' for me for Christmas to help give me some stress relief and I am up to 5 three minute rounds with in, doing mostly punchs.

My biggest problem is that the legs just don't go as high as they used to but I can still bench 245 and do leg presses with 745 for reps.

I've thought about getting into Aikido or Krav Maga but aren't sure which way to go. Any thoughts, I'd love to start Shotokan just to experience it but want to save whats left of my knee and hip.

Thanks all, this is a great group to be in!

Pai Lum Kung fu - Brown belt

Lung-Fu Do - 1st degree Brown belt

Ryukyu Kempo - Yellow Belt

Hapkido - Orange Belt

Jpein a good part of training at our age is accepting our abilities as well as our inabilities. Head high kicks are not the most important part of shotokan. We just do the best we can an the time as we try to improve our skills. In terms of flexibility in shotokan the first really big challange comes about heian godan with the crescent kick into the palm of the hand. And many students of all ages have trouble with than one at first.

RockyMtMark congratulations to you and to your wife.

First thank you for your response.

I guess my question for Shotokan is about the 'deep' stances, I worry more about that with my knees. While practicing on 'BOB' I've found that I still have a pretty good front snap kick and a strong spinning back kick.

Are there any Shotokan practictioners here that I could talk to?

Thanks again

Hapkido - Orange Belt

The traditional "deep" stances of shotokan start with however strong your legs are. As time goes by and you train more your legs get stronger and your stances very gradually go deeper.

As for shotokan practitioners here at KF I practice shotokan and so does G95. And there are others as well.

Well I ran into some of my other '40+' friends this past weekend, our dojo has a black belt test in June....guess I'd better get my butt into the gym and in gear...maybe I'll change my screen name to shodan2b...back to the cardio!!!!!!! :D

Hapkido - Orange Belt

Watching a big test can be motivating even if you are not testing yourself. It is also very motivating to train around those who are getting ready to test. The atmosphere gets the adrenaline really pumping.

• 7 months later...