• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How much training in kicking does a Shotokan Dojo do?

Prototype

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think kick training varies from dojo to dojo. In my training we mostly used front kicks, side thrust kicks, round house kicks, sometimes back kicks and spinning back kicks. I would guess it was no more than 20% of class devoted to strictly kicking alone. There were days when we had to clean up some sloppy technique and bad habits, then we'd focus on it with more attention to detail.

Now there are a lot of using kicks together with punches in combinations that we train regularly. Shotokan does vastly differ from Tae Kwon Do in this aspect regardless of the connection between the two.

WildBourgMan

Shotokan does vastly differ from Tae Kwon Do in this aspect regardless of the connection between the two.

So despite the revolution in kicking from TKD and the martial arts craze of the 70s and 80s, Shotokan dojos still kept it conservative and didn't change very much kicking wise?

Shotokan does vastly differ from Tae Kwon Do in this aspect regardless of the connection between the two.

So despite the revolution in kicking from TKD and the martial arts craze of the 70s and 80s, Shotokan dojos still kept it conservative and didn't change very much kicking wise?

Not from what I've seen in regular training, I'm sure some dojo's may have adjusted and even adjusted back.

Now when I was a kid in the 1980's training Shotokan we sure did practice a lot of kicks that you would see in Tae Kwon Do on our own. It was cool! 8)

WildBourgMan