• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i would my sifu/guro/master

is a master in maphilindo and kuntao silat but....i can't go to that class because it is during my bjj class

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

and most people don't even know how to swim"

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally like shotokan and Hapkido. Hapkido has the best of both worlds, kicking and punches from TKD, and some variations of locks and throws seen in grappling techniques found in Akido. Then there is Shotokan Karate which I like because of its emphasis on striking. :karate:

"Defeat is not defeat unless it is accepted as reality in your own mind"

I'd say my art Pankration or shootfighting would beat any traditional arts that does katas instead of concentrating specifically on self-defense and street-defense.After all these are two styles that always win in UFC.

The best fighting arts are ones that combine stand up(muay thai)with grappling(submission wrestling or jujitsu)

i honestly think that Shootfighting works better than Jui Jitsu (or atleast BJJ) simply for the reason that we strike.

i also think that Shootfighting works better than most stand-up styles because we grapple.

im not trying to say anything bad about any art because it really comes down to the person.

I do pankration,similar to your art,if not same.So I agree with you.

After all shoot fighting and pankration win all UFC fights.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, why not. I usually don't get involved in style vs. style debates, though I love comparing styles. But you guys are keeping it pretty low keyed. So...

Aki Ju-Jitsu or Ketto Ryu Jujutsu would dominate most karate, TKD and kung fu styles. I'm pretty sure they'd have few problems with Muay Thai and even other grappling arts. But, definately the best against karate due to the fact that with most karate students once you grab them they have no idea what to do. At all.

Kyle-san, I hate to tell you, but American Kenpo teaches the principals involved in breaking or reversing holds and locks from the start. All these can be countered, many can be used against you. That isn't to say that they aren't useful or effective if you know when and how to use them. I just wouldn't want to have to depend primarily on them to defend myself. Having said that, though, I will say that I've seen some senior practitioners that would flow with your counters all day, untill they decide to really put you down. Also, I do Tai Chi, and the martial applications of that include Chin-na. Awesome!

Most AK schools in my area offer small circle aiki and grappling as adjuncts to Kenpo. I think this is a good thing.

I've spared other styles as well, and AK as a system holds its own with all of them. It teaches to fight at all ranges, all angles, and to dominate all deminsions, as well as use of all natural weapons and stand up grappling. So there is an answer for just about anything you'll run into.

Well, there's my brag on what I do! Too bad it depends so much more on the practioner than the style, huh?

Freedom isn't free!

After all shoot fighting and pankration win all UFC fights

funny I just matt lindland win -he does neither

just saw Frank mir win-he does neither

just saw vladamir win-he does neither

thats just the last one..i could go on.

why would you make a statment like that?

Kyle-san, I hate to tell you, but American Kenpo teaches the principals involved in breaking or reversing holds and locks from the start. All these can be countered, many can be used against you. That isn't to say that they aren't useful or effective if you know when and how to use them. I just wouldn't want to have to depend primarily on them to defend myself. Having said that, though, I will say that I've seen some senior practitioners that would flow with your counters all day, untill they decide to really put you down. Also, I do Tai Chi, and the martial applications of that include Chin-na. Awesome!

Most AK schools in my area offer small circle aiki and grappling as adjuncts to Kenpo. I think this is a good thing.

I've spared other styles as well, and AK as a system holds its own with all of them. It teaches to fight at all ranges, all angles, and to dominate all deminsions, as well as use of all natural weapons and stand up grappling. So there is an answer for just about anything you'll run into.

Well, there's my brag on what I do! Too bad it depends so much more on the practioner than the style, huh?

Well, that's good that you have so much confidence in your style. It's nice to know that your system teaches all ranges and all angles, but then again mine do the same thing. Just because my Jujutsu training focuses on in-close fighting doesn't mean that's what it's limited to. If you look at my previous post I wasn't taking any shots at Kempo or any other style, just saying that most Karate students wouldn't know what to do from a grab. Not all.

Kyle-san, I didn't think you were taking shots. Neither was I. In fact, looking at what you do, you seem to be a well rounded martial artist. I once attended a seminar given by the head of one of the aiki systems (Anise Sensei- Aiki-Jutsu). He made the point that to be a complete martial artist you need a stand up style, locks and throws, ground fighting, an internal style and healing arts. I think he was right, though I have a long way to go to get there. His system was interesting to me because he combined external and internal principles effectively, which is where I would like to get to in my practice. But that takes a lot of time. Any way, good luck in your training.

Freedom isn't free!

Hmmmm well this sucks, I read this entire thing and I only saw 2 people that favored karate. ANd one who didn't have too great of things to say about karate students. Hopefully shudokan karate is different.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

Don't worry about it. I have a HUGE reputation at my school for my fighting ability. We also have a good wrestling team, and they admit I'd smoke 'em. Striking, (for me) is more effective than grappling. Karate just takes a while to get good.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.