• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The second, third and fifth (possibly even fourth) are the only ones really necessary for a TKD-ist to succeed. I've seen guys my height (5'9") and less blow away huge guys because they understood interception, were deadly fast and weren't ignorant of grappling and other styles.

I apologize if I've prejudiced against short people. I've had a 5'8'' blackbelt in my style kick my a**. My purpose on point number 1 is to demonstrate that all those "mighty" kicks are best suited for a physique that has the ability to throw them with reach and power. This doesn't mean that short people can't be good. I might add that Bruce Lee was a short guy as well (remember, however, that he practiced the economical art of Wing-Chun).

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I apologize if I've prejudiced against short people. I've had a 5'8'' blackbelt in my style kick my a**. My purpose on point number 1 is to demonstrate that all those "mighty" kicks are best suited for a physique that has the ability to throw them with reach and power. This doesn't mean that short people can't be good. I might add that Bruce Lee was a short guy as well (remember, however, that he practiced the economical art of Wing-Chun).

Ah, very true. Just making sure that you keep in mind that not just tall people are better with those kicks and all short people worse.

Of course, I've sparred some very tall people and had a terrible time against those kicks.

I read some where that Bruce Lee was only 135 pounds. That's tiny!

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

• 3 weeks later...
I think that the practicioner make the style shine.. if the style lacks of some techniques the practicioner will lack of those techniques...

ok, now go listen to slayer!

I believe that a practioner's proficiency is his/her own doing. Whether a TKD stylist can defeat a submission fighter or vice versa is not the question, because everyone and every style has strengths and weaknesses. All that matters is how hard you train.

We all chose our styles because they appeal to us. It is my opinion that those people who just look for an art that is superior in destructiveness will continue that searh forever and a day. My art Hwa Rang Do is considered a comprehensive style meaning we study grappling, striking, joint manipulation, etc. However, that doesn't mean that we are superior.

I would even venture to say that it doesn't really matter how big or small you are either. Morehei Ueshiba was a small man, but very effective in his technique. Royce Gracie, Bruce Lee, Benny "the Jet", Tito Ortiz are not and were not the biggest kids on the playground, so to speak, but no one can deny their skill and ability.

Focus should be placed on building one's skills and ability.

Sa Chin E Hyo--Loyalty to one's parents and teachers!!! Hwa Rang.

I think a TKD guy would get taken down pretty easy, specially if he tried high kicks. I think shootfighting is good too. I'd love to see aikido versus japenese jiu jitsu. i love to strike but i think grappling is easier and safer. i'd love to stand and bang, i'm not too bad at it either but i juss feel more comfy on the ground personally. I used to be a kicking speciallist, it was my fav and i wasn't to shabby either but i kno i'd prolyl be pretty easy to take down and in street fights u usually start the fight wit somone grabbing another guys shirt before they bunch...there goes kicking :( i dunno anyhoo, juss my opinion...

"razor elbows, killer knees, iron fists and monster kicks"

"Nice punch!!!, now let's see how well you punch with a broken arm"