• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Flower Sweep Details

This week we spent time working on driving attacks with sweep efforts from the guard. One key component of this is making sure that our sweeps are dangerous. For this, we have to understand base control, weight manipulation, and proper angles.

In our recap, we discuss the details of these as they relate to the flower sweep. One of my favorites in the entire art. Check it out:

How did you learn the flower sweep? There are several variations and different philosophies on how to best instruct it. What is your method?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What was my method? Well, I would keep turning when I got under the leg- 90 degree represented the minumum needed to turn, but I would try to go 135 if possible. Basically the idea was to kick (with the bottom leg) towards my opponents head as much as possible. The more towards the side, the more they can use their leg. More towards the head (like you're trying to faceplant them) less their leg can post.

Good video. I just never knew it as the flower sweep. It was "that thing were you get under like this and do that to get there"

It kind of made sense to me up until almost the end. Then it all clicked after you were on your knees and did the arm thing (without your partner engaged)...

Fireman's carry from wrestling type movement - pulling the arm downward as you pick up on the opposite leg. Yes he's on top of you and in front vs standing across your shoulders, but that pull-lift-twist is the same. To me anyway.

Or am I way off track?

It kind of made sense to me up until almost the end. Then it all clicked after you were on your knees and did the arm thing (without your partner engaged)...

Fireman's carry from wrestling type movement - pulling the arm downward as you pick up on the opposite leg. Yes he's on top of you and in front vs standing across your shoulders, but that pull-lift-twist is the same. To me anyway.

Or am I way off track?

Really very astute observation! Both work on the same concept and the application of the fulcrum is critical.

• 1 month later...

I classify what you're showing as a pendulum sweep. It uses the momentum of the leg to add to the movement. Great sweep.

I call a similar, but different sweep the flower sweep.

Here's an old video of me teaching both at a seminar.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."