• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

tips for getting a better horse stance?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've not seen this issue before, but I'd suggest doing some tip-toe walking and up-and-down motions onto the balls of the feet. That might help with your ankle mobility.

Can you sit in a deep squat and keep your heels on the ground?

Sounds like really tight calves and ankles? A lot of people have the same issue when they weight train and start doing squats.

If you do a normal bodyweight squat do you feel your weight coming forward onto the toes and then your heels come off the floor?

Try some targeted mobility and stretching: https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/6-mobility-exercises-for-an-a-to-grass-squat

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I was sure someone would suggest to buy a horse.

Practice your horse stance sitting on a regular dinning room chair, stand up then sit down; as if slowly riding a horse with both feet in the left and right stirrups

Always keep your back straight, as if suspended from above, from the top of your head, from a single hair, located in the middle of your crown.

Knees should be about as wide apart as your shoulders. Knees over toes with both feet pointed straight ahead.

Coordinate you breathing while rising up and down. Breath in through the nose on the way up and out through the mouth on the movement down. Putting your tongue on the roof of your mouth while breathing in a circular continuous manner.

Slowly work up to the total exercise, no rush. Slow and steady will win the race.

All the best with your efforts!

First off, Welcome to KF, pianodude1; glad that you're here!! :bowofrespect:

What style of the MA are you training in?

I ask because methodologies and ideologies vary like the winds. For example, a lot of Japanese styles have middle to low stances, and that includes Kiba Dachi [Horse Stance]. Whereas, a lot, if not all, of Okinawan styles have high stances, and that too, includes Kiba Dachi [Horse Stance]!!

It's possible, that your situation warrants an Okinawan style over a Japanese style due to the high stances, which might lessen your plight with your ankles.

Anyway, I hope you can solve this!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

First off, Welcome to KF, pianodude1; glad that you're here!! :bowofrespect:

What style of the MA are you training in?

I ask because methodologies and ideologies vary like the winds. For example, a lot of Japanese styles have middle to low stances, and that includes Kiba Dachi [Horse Stance]. Whereas, a lot, if not all, of Okinawan styles have high stances, and that too, includes Kiba Dachi [Horse Stance]!!

It's possible, that your situation warrants an Okinawan style over a Japanese style due to the high stances, which might lessen your plight with your ankles.

Anyway, I hope you can solve this!!

:)

i practice tang soo do, i'll be going for my cho dan in 6 months

First off welcome to the KF. Just wanted to sound like Sensei8 sorry :). Seriously, nice to see new people.

So, in Tang Soo Do it'a always a middle stance, I'd describe it as a low/middle stance. Not high like the Okinowan styles that sensei8 referred to. I find that when people have an issue it's because of the alignment of the toes and knees more then anything. Toes should be pointed outwards and not forward. Knees should not squeeze but should relax and open up. As for flexibility I agree with DWx, sounds like right calves. When I perform a really high front kick, or axe kick I feel it in my calve muscle and not my hamstring like many people do, so I can relate in some manner.

I would try doing front stance, and essentially point rear toes at the normal 45 degree angle, slowly try and point them forward without lifting the heel. This is a stretch we sometimes do in class, specifically for that muscle.

Outside of that congratulations on going for black belt.

A lot of good stuff here, hopefully some ideas help you out.

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!