• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Without martial arts...

I've thought about what I might be involved in if the MA wasn't in my life. To be frank and honest, for as long as I've been in the MA, both as a student and as a CI, including the Administrative segments within the SKKA, I can't even begin to answer that question with any certainty.

I suppose, there was a time where I was interested in Law Enforcement because I had tons of LEO's as students over the years, and I was particularly interested in working for the LAPD (Los Angeles Police Department). But, it was just a thought, a thought that never really materialized.

I thought that with my Administrative experience as well as owning my own MA supply store, that I might try my hand out in Retail, more specifically in the Field Operations field as either a District Manager or Regional Manager. However, I felt that I was already, in sorts, doing that, and more, at the dojo as well as the SKKA.

I originally went to college to earn an MBA (Master of Business Administration), but due to my schedule with me operating my own dojo, time constraints were compatible as my student body increased.

The MA and its Administrative side is all that I've ever known, and all that I'm cut out for, and in that, the MA is all that I'm good at. Things happen for reasons, and I believe that the MA happened, and I'm completely satisfied, and pleased that things worked out the way it did.

Shoot, I even wanted to be a pilot once, my Uncle Earnie was a pilot in the private sector, but I changed my mind right after I took a trial flight, and the pilot did one stall after another, and I thought for sure, that we were going to crash if he didn't get the darn engine started up each and every time that plane stalled...ON PURPOSE!! No no no no no no...not me...not this boy...no way and no how...I was baptized to remain on the ground from that very moment by kissing the ground, literally, when the trial flight ended.

:)

Don't sell yourself short. From what I know about you/seen from you, you would have been successful in just about anything you put your heart and mind to. It just happened to be MA (in a good way). If you had the same passion for, say, architecture, you'd have been a very good architect. Or anything else. For the most part, I think we all say we do what we do because we understand it and relate to it well. I genuinely think we'd come to that feeling in just about anything if we had the same passion for it.

Granted, not everyone can be a neurosurgeon, no matter how determined and passionate they are about it, but you get my drift.

For your very kind words, JR, I thank you!!

Hhmmm...neurosurgeon...yeah...oh wait...I've the weakest constitution when it comes to blood...not a good combination...not at all!! :P

Thanks, JR!!

:D

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've thought about this a lot lately and even written about it for classes in my social work program.

As many of you know, I grew up with a mild physical disability. Because of this, I was more sensitive to oppression people experience (bullying of all sorts). I started training at 14 in hopes of taking care of a bullying problem of my own. At the same time I began training, my Christian faith began to become very important to me. I find the love I'm to have for those in need that my faith calls me to dovetails nicely with what we as MAists are to be in the world.

I'm an introvert by nature. I'm a behind the scenes-type of person. I don't mine speaking to groups, but I don't love it. I've always loved the phrase, "Speak the truth, even if your voice shakes." After training for so many years, I've realized that it's my training that gives me strength to be vocal and active in speaking for those without a voice. While my faith gives me strength, my training empowers me in a different (and admittedly strange) way. For a very long time now, I think of training when I'm nervous to speak or to care for a difficult client ( say, homeless and/or combative mentally ill). I actually think to myself, "Well, this is hard, but no one is going to try to kick me in the head. And if they do, I've dealt with that before. It's not the worst thing in the world." And that gives me the courage to speak, and to care for others who don't have a voice and struggle in life. The hard times on the mat aren't nearly as close to the daily struggles of many of my clients. The strength I gain through training empowers me to be their voice.

Without my training, I wouldn't have the ability, desire or strength to do what I do.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton