• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Troubling situation

Hello all. I have just learned that a former student of our Uni TKD club, who left at 3d gup (red) is now teaching TKD for a parks and rec program, as a self promoted black belt. What would others do? I am tempted to gather with the other instructors and pay a small visit, encouraging him to not claim our club as his place of origin, adn to perhaps cease teaching.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you know the guy discuss the matter over a cup of coffe with him, and tell him about your concern.

There is always a solution if people are willing to talk. If he is a selfpromoted black belt then offering him a chance to grade for black belt in your club might be a solution. I dont know how the guy is as a person, but if he's serious about teaching, then grading should fix all the problem's (if he is skilled enough of course)

There are many ways to pass a river :)

Read a book!

As a self-promoted black belt???

I'd say that in itself would give prospective students the word up on his credentials wouldn't you say?

Are you sure he didn't get his bb eleswhere after he left your school?

If he is claiming he earned his bb at the school then I would say he is making false claims and would require investigation by your school but he did in fact train at your school and the mere mention of that in his training background really grounds for ceasing him to teach ... I believe he'll do it on his own sooner or later.

Unfortuanately, he was in no way, shape, or form ready to test to shodan when he left. He is apparantly claiming a shodan from our club. I haev e-mailed him adn am waiting for a response.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

I would have a representative of your school contact the Parks and Recs to inform them on the facts of this persons credentials. Fact is he lied to the Parks and Recs and to the people who wanted to take this self-defense course. This is unacceptable and needs to be corrected before it affects the reputation of the Parks and Recs as well as your school, and it will!

2nd Dan Hap Ki Do: What we do in life echos for an eternity!

Confirm your information about this person and his claim of being a black belt back to your club. Talk to the Parks and Rec people or to some of his students to confirm your suspicions. After that meet with the Parks and Rec folks, as well as the person in question and discuss the issue. Paying him a visit with the insturctors of your school is not the best way to approach it, at least in my opinion.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I have two concerns. One is liability, if one of his students get hurt, can it be linked back to your school improperly? and Second, if he is saying his training is from your school and he is not a legitimate black belt and is in fact a poor/undertalented instructor, this can drag down the good reputation your school may have for turning out quality students and instructors. I would definately contact the parks department and advise them he is not a black belt from your school or left your school as a qualified instructor and not to associate his instruction with your school in any way. I think you need to take steps to protect your good reputation from underqualified instructors using your schools name for credentials.

Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way

Kenpo - Brown

TKD - Advanced Green

Someone else here is concerned about his students' safety right? :)

This is a self-defense course. It isn't just any rec center activity. Insufficient information there can have dire consequences.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu