• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Things you won't accept

These playfull guys are the most dangerous. You could get injured just because they chose to do something different than the task "orderred". And sometimes you must trust them and then ... bang ... your nose or ... :D

When applying techniques and doing some predefined sparring I try to work with a person I trust. That would be a friend of mine ... She is OK. Has got the same rank and works what we have to work and we agree before doing something. When we need some "spice" we add it, we sparr harder contact or lighter, after agreeing. When she's not aroud I pair with another higher rank.

It sounds nasty but I try to avoid beginners. When i stay to help them I chose some well behaved boys or girls. Those with too much "spirit" are quite dangerous when it comes to working a technique and trust they would be attentive and have some controll. After one hit me quite hard in the nose, just to see how it is ... I pay a lot of attention when it comes to pair with someone.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I hate is when a parent comes up and tries to tell me what to do in class. I will respect their opinion up to a point, but for the most part I'm pretty aware of who needs help. It hasn't happened in a while, but I have had parents in the past downright order me to "help their child". The point is, they don't train and really don't know when the child really needs help. If the kid messes up ONE kick, then we (the instructors) "are just not paying attention to little Tommy. He's struggling and I need you to help him!" Of course, we can't just tell the mom "Lady, he's doing better than half the class...it's a brand new kick, he'll get it with some more time" But to say that would be to forget that the world revolves around her and her son. :roll:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

What I hate is when a parent comes up and tries to tell me what to do in class. I will respect their opinion up to a point, but for the most part I'm pretty aware of who needs help. It hasn't happened in a while, but I have had parents in the past downright order me to "help their child". The point is, they don't train and really don't know when the child really needs help. If the kid messes up ONE kick, then we (the instructors) "are just not paying attention to little Tommy. He's struggling and I need you to help him!" Of course, we can't just tell the mom "Lady, he's doing better than half the class...it's a brand new kick, he'll get it with some more time" But to say that would be to forget that the world revolves around her and her son. :roll:

ROTFLMAO ! :D :D :D

I will joke about different styles of Martial Arts , but I try not to be genuinely disrespectful of them , especially in light of the fact that I do a lot of mixed stuff.

I don't like when someone plays MR. Macho , plays around in general , or just starts doing something completely different from what we are practicing at the time ! :kaioken: :kaioken: :kaioken:

Study and show thyself approved.

Don't become so focused on the weapon that you become castrated.

HDR - 2000

Oops, I meant to say: "I hate it when a parent tells me how to teach a class", as in when I'm teaching kids' classes.

When I looked over my post again, I realized it kind of seemed as though random parents were telling me how to do technique while I'm taking class.... :lol:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• 2 weeks later...

:) we just offer constructive criticism.

Just count yourself lucky that I am not one of those parents monkeygirl. How about a black belt parent criticising the way you teach .... not that I ever do that to any of my son or daughters instructors... (well, only because they are higher dan ranks than I :wink: )

Another thoughtful subject. Parents giving opinions on how to run a class, that is always a good one. How about when 2 parents are sitting and talking really loud while the class is being conducted. Or when they let the younger brother or sister make all kind of noise, slop crumbs on the floor, crawl or walk onto the training floor. That would get my goat more than anything. Or when the cell phone rings and they sit right there and start talking while they are watching the class!! I hated that. :x And they wanted thier kid to learn respect!

"The more we change, the more we stay the same"

I can't stand students who disrespect me because I'm only a little older than them... I have this one particular Orange belt who told me I was stupid when I tried to help him on one of his techniques...Which angered me a bit ( Of course I didn't show it. )

Age-16

Rank/Style-1st Dan Wado Ryu Karate Do

Occupation-Assistant Instructor