• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Things you won't accept

There are times when you come across things you are not gonna stand. Maybe sensei does or says something that is not OK. There are some limits everyone sets for oneself.

I won't agree with some reactions from my instructor or from my coleagues and perhaps it's your case too. (Hopefully we are treated like royals there :D )

For instance, I wouldn't let my instructor hit me with no reason. I don't stand mockery. I make fun of myself, and I accept jokes about myself. When the limit is crossed ... war begins :D I also demand respect. I respect the others thus expect the same treatment.

How do you feel about these things? Are there limits you set, or are you going to let anything happen to you?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll tell you that one of my personal downfalls seems to be that I cannot accept nit-picking criticism from another student that happens to be the same dan level as me but just happens to be an instructor (which I am not).

I can understand if I am doing something "obviously" wrong.

Maybe it is the way that their "critique" is delivered to me. I dislike when my performance of hyung (kata) is disected to the point where I may have position my "high spear finger" a couple millimeters too high or one of my fingers was slightly open on a knife hand technique.

I am way too critical of my own ability at times and maybe that is the source of my non-acceptance of others'criticism.

As a black belt I have learned that I cannot slack in class as when I do "these" instances are brought up and criticized maybe for good reason but I get a little po'd when it comes from someone at my level of instruction whereas when it comes from the master instructor I tend to be more receptive of their critical instruction.

Now as far as mockery....

We have a portion of theclass where we do floor technique and each of the blackbelts call out a kick/combo and instruct the class down the floor. I have some "younger" black belts calling out some "thought-up" pretty physically demanding jump spin quadrupal-type aerial kicks to be done in succession as they "eye" the senior blackbelts. Deep down inside I think they are trying to kill us :kaioken: .... or trying to show off just how faster and higher they can jump!

I: Disrespect towards the senior instructor/instructor staff/other students.

II: Refusal to learn, i.e.: "I know all that there is to know, you can't teach me anything!"

III: Dishonesty.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Respect cant be demanded it must be earnt.

Things I wont except

Mocking my style.

Hitting Women.

IGNORANCE!

Take Care.

I agree ... however I believe I took the question as what I (personally)wouldn't accept within the dojo (for me)...

But I do agree with you Kensai on the ignorance. I would imagine "mocking style" occurs outside the dojo as well as "hitting women" ... (I dislike it when men "hold back" from hitting me when we spar!)

Fortunately all the things hobbitbob mentioned have never occured at our school ... thankfully, because I too wouldn't accept that!

I'll give you one example that makes me mad. There is this one 14 year old girl (I won't mention her name). She likes to "play around" in class. She doesn't listen well. She back-talks the instructors. But yet, she tries to tell ME about my technique. I wouldn't mind it so much if she actually had any kind of technique. One day, I told her "Don't worry about me till you get your technique straight." Funny thing is, I didn't get in trouble for saying that by my instructor (I thought I was going to get hammered).

I just learned that she got her stripes taken away (she was my rank) and her parents got a "talking" to. So, She is definitely not a model student. She hasn't talked to me lately, so I guess she figured out that I was right.

Laurie F

I'm glad you are interested in this thread :)

I remembered other things I hate. I always felt like killing someone when the person comes and asks "why don't you do this or that?" To be more specific: on thursdays I go to 2 different classes (self defence and right after that, the usual karate class). When in the karate class, my instructor told us (we are 3 students involved in this "experiment") not to warm up anymore with the others, just to do some tecniques. Of course there were some idiots asking:"Why aren't you warming up?"

I always mind my own business; why can't the others do the same?

I also dislike being hit with no reason. When I and a friend take a short sparring session we do it with control, and after agreeing previously. there are some who just come and kick. With no control and of course with no permission. After that ... explosion :D :D :D

I'll give you one example that makes me mad. There is this one 14 year old girl (I won't mention her name). She likes to "play around" in class. She doesn't listen well. She back-talks the instructors.

Why is she still there? That is has always been grounds for immediate expulsion anywhere I've trained!

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!